#17 -Important

"WHAT?!" I shrieked in pure astonishment. Some rice grains were sticking to my lips and chin and I was holding my chopsticks so tightly that they could have cracked in my hand.

"I told you. This is a good opportunity for people attending 2nd and 3rd year" Kiyoko calmly spoke, adjusting her glasses on her straight, regular nose. She had already finished her lunch and her bento box was neatly closed and cleaned, already wrapped in a cloth bag with the chopsticks.

How is she so neat and organized all the time? I'm such a mess...

As I thought this, I searched for a Kleenex to wipe out the rice from my face but I was still shocked for the news.

Ah, right. You guys might be wondering what the news are.

There was a slight chance I wouldn't be able to see my best friend anymore.

The good opportunity Kiyoko was talking about was an exam to enter one of the most prestigious universities in Japan. The matter was that this university was quite expensive and I couldn't afford it at all.

I'm aware that people, whether they are your friends or not, are free to go by the path they choose on their own but still I couldn't help but be sad to part from her.

*Later*

I was on the court again doing practice with Suga, Ryu and Noya but I couldn't focus. The boys noticed that and we decided to take a little break. As I sat on the floor and stretched a bit without speaking a word, Ryu asked me: "[Name], why are you so distracted today? Are you thinking of Tsukishima, perhaps?".

I saw Suga hitting him in his stomach with his elbow, a surprisingly rare sight indeed.

"Huh?" I lazily replied ignoring his provocation.

"HEY, RYU! Don't say that!" Nishinoya spat out in indignation "I-I mean... Maybe [Name]-chan is just a bit tired, huh?".

"Just... Okay" I said "Okay, the matter is that..." and I went on explaining the whole situation.

By the end of my discourse, they all were looking away in pure embarrassment.

"Uhm... Guys?" I said, breaking the silence "What's up?".

"It's... complicated". This was one of the first times I heard my Bro stutter. There MUST be something wrong.

"I'm not in a hurry. Speak"

"We might be taking the same exam"

"WHAT? And what were you waiting for to tell me? All of you three?!" I burst out.

"No, I'm not taking the exam. I was a bit embarrassed because you were talking about Kiyoko... You know, we broke up just two weeks ago" Sugawara explained.

"Gomen, Suga" I apologized, then my voice grew louder addressing the two of what I thought were the most important boys in my life "What's this? Are you sure it's a good idea, with your grades? And why didn't you tell me?"

"It was a late decision, [Name]..."

After some silence, I said: "Ok, you know what? I need some time alone. You can keep doing practice without me for today". Then I got up and made my way out.

"Wait, [Name]!" they tried to stop me but the truth was that I couldn't shake a feeling.

That feeling was, I was 99 percent sure that Ryu and Noya decided to take the exam just to be in the same university as Kiyoko. I was sad because of the chance of parting ways with my all-time friend Ryu and I felt disappointed in Nishinoya. I thought he was different from the other guys and that he could make decisions with his brain instead of his penis, but I clearly was wrong.

Suddenly, my phone ringed. I thought it could be Ryu or Noya, but it was my cousin Tetsurou instead. I took the call.

"Hello"

"Heeeeey, [Name]-chan! What's up?"

"Oi, could be better. How about you?"

"Neeee, you're always like that. Stop being gloomy and enjoy your life! Shall we hang out tonight? I'm still here with some friends and one of them wants to meet you! What do you think?"

At first, I wanted to decline to lock myself up in my bedroom and watch some anime but I decided it'd be no bad. Besides, I was curious to see who wanted to meet me and it was a good opportunity to avoid thinking about what happened that day.

"Huh? [Name]? Are you still there?"

Maybe I'm wrong, but someone said something like "OYA, OYA, OYA!" into my cousin's phone.

"Uhm... Yeah, yeah. I was thinking... Where do we meet?"

~~~●••●••●~~~

Hello, my awesome people!

As you may have noticed - and not because I've been editing the story or writing it a hundred times  lololol - I'm finally back from my holidays!

What are you thinking..? You didn't even notice I haven't updated in two weeks..? 😢

Ok... whatever...
Whether you liked this or not, I'd like to know it! Leave comments and votes, please!

Also, requests for short stories are still open etc. (I know I've been repeating this a thousand times, gomen)

Anyways, hope this new year brings us all some good luck - I'm in need since I have to study for my exams *sigh*

Peace & Love!

Shiri-Chan96 💖