But We're Not Dating!

"What!?" Dan cried, staring down at his yearbook in horror. How the hell—?

"I knew you guys would win!" Ethan said, appearing behind him and leaning over his shoulder to grin at the page. "Everyone I know voted for you two."

"What?" Dan repeated, confusion making his thoughts feel like they were moving through syrup in his brain. It wasn't just the fact that it didn't make any sense, it was also the fact that Dan had had literally no idea that this was coming. How had something to this scale escaped his notice for so long?

"What's wrong?" Robbie asked, peering up from her own yearbook to look at Dan. The yearbooks had just been distributed, but maybe if Dan ran around the entire school at the speed of light he could steal them all before anyone else saw this page.

"What's wrong?" Dan repeated incredulously. He spun his yearbook around and slammed his finger onto the page dramatically. "People think we're dating, is what's wrong!" The page featured a picture of Dan talking to Phil in the hallway, both of them leaning against the lockers (and when the hell had that been taken? Since when were stalker-ish tendencies allowed?) and underneath it proclaimed they'd been voted best couple by the majority of the school's population. And they weren't even dating!

"Hey guys," Phil's familiar voice then said as he appeared around the corner of a library shelf, a book in hand.

"Nothing!" Dan said quickly, slamming the yearbook shut and very inconspicuously hugging it to his chest. Phil paused, a confused expression passing over his face.

"Um—is something wrong?"

"Dan—" Ethan started, but Dan cut him off immediately.

"Nope," he said loudly. "Nothing!" He heard the librarian shush them from somewhere towards the front of the library, though half-heartedly. It was the last week of school, she wouldn't be getting anywhere with trying to make the students keep calm.

Phil just shrugged, probably accepting it as their usual antics, and took his seat beside Dan. He flipped open his book and pulled out his bookmark, immediately twisting it between his fingers. Dan let out a sigh of relief—crisis averted! Now he just had to keep Phil from seeing one of the yearbooks. Forever.

He still wasn't completely sure on why this was the best course of action, but it'd already been decided. Sure, it might make sense to just try to explain the situation to Phil—maybe then they could explain to others that they were not, in fact, dating—but Dan decided to not do that. Instead he would hide it with everything he was worth.

Robbie smirked at him from across the table. She knew as well as he did that his plans were not known for being the best of their kind, that whenever their friend group needed some sort of plan—whether for good or ill intentions—they went to Phil. He was a master at planning things. He always managed to look at situations critically and without bias, letting him make efficient decisions for the good of their entire friend group. For example, the time he'd manhandled them all into his house and forced them to watch his latest favorite anime instead of studying for their upcoming exams ("Too much studying will fry our brains—this way we can relax.").

"Oh, yearbooks came?" Phil suddenly said, noticing as Dan set his copy back down on the table. Damn! He should've hid it in his bag while he had the chance! Or blind folded Phil. Or set off a smoke bomb. Phil set down his book and reached for Dan's copy. "I didn't get one."

Dan made some sort of noncommittal noise in response and Phil slid his yearbook towards himself, flipping open the hardbound cover and examining the first shiny page. Dan felt his entire face go red as he tried to think of a logical reason for him not to not let Phil read it. Sure, he could just yank it away, but what would be the purpose? Wouldn't Phil only become more curious and desperate to read it if Dan denied him.