Trapped

Astrid woke up early, as usual, and after getting dressed, she ran out to the stable to get Srormfly for their usual morning fly before breakfast. Only, when she got there, someone else was already there, saddling up a certain Night Fury.

"Morning Hiccup," said Astrid, putting her saddle on Stormfly's back.

"Morning Astrid," replied Hiccup.

"What're you doing up this early?" asked Astrid.

"Thought Toothless and I could join you and Stormfly this morning," said Hiccup, turning to face Astrid. "Is that okay?"

"Of course, I'd love that," said Astrid, hopping onto Stormfly, "but are you sure you'll be able to keep up with us, this early in the morning?"

"Bring it on," said Hiccup, jumping onto Toothless's back. "Let's go bud."

"Let's go girl," said Astrid to Stormfly. Both dragons shot into the air and began racing each other around the island, whilst the vikings on their backs yelled at each other playfully.

After a while, Astrid and Hiccup landed to let their dragons take a break before going back across the island for breakfast.

Hiccup sat leaning against a rock and looked around thoughtfully.

"Have you ever been here before?" he asked Astrid, as she sat beside him.

"No, I don't think anyone has," said Astrid. "Why?"

"Look at all the trees over there," said Hiccup, pointing across the clearing to the trees facing them. "They all have cuts across them, almost like you've thrown your axe at them a few million times."

"Let's go explore," said Astrid, jumping up, closely followed by Hiccup, and approaching the trees. As they got closer, the cuts were bigger, and looked more like a dragon had done it than an axe.

They followed the trees until they came out in another clearing. It looked almost empty, except for the pile of rocks in the center of the clearing. Looking more closely, Astrid and Hiccup found it was the entrance to an underground cave.

"What do you think?" asked Hiccup.

"We've come this far," said Astrid, heading into the dark cave.

-----

They'd been walking for at least half an hour when a low rumbling reached their ears. It got slowly louder as they walked deeper into the cave.

"I can't see anything," said Astrid, tripping for the hundredth time.

"Just hold my hand so we don't lose each other," said Hiccup. They linked hands and carried on walking towards the grumbling noise.

"Can you see that?" asked Astrid, noticing a small red light at the end of the tunnel, growing brighter with every step.

"Yes, stay close," said Hiccup, pulling on Astrid's hand to make her walk closer to him, which she didn't object to.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I'm not entirely sure, but it is some type of dragon," said Hiccup.

As he said that, the light flew towards them and disappeared behind them down the tunnel.

"Catch a glimpse?" asked Astrid.

"It's a Glowing Redsnout," said Hiccup. "Sharpens its claws by scraping them on trees and generally lives alone in the dark. Hunts by night."

"How do you know that?" asked Astrid.

"I've been spending way too much time with Fishlegs," said Hiccup, shaking his head and smiling.