Chapter 10 - Ruins

I can't believe I've finally reached Chapter 10! Whoop! I think this might even encourage me to update more often... I know, amazing.

***

Chapter 10 ~ Ruins

Complete ruins. That was all that remained.

Just a few crackling spits of fire here and there, a whole load of ashes and cherished memories.

Tears welled up in Akki's eyes for the second time that day. She never cried. Ever. When she was young, she learned that crying was pointless. It would never change the situation, but sometimes it helped to make you feel better. That's why she was crying at this point.

Even Gaara felt a wave of sadness overcome him as he slipped Akki out of his arms. He kept a tight grip on her hand as they stared at the sight of their little cottage before them.

"W-we..." Akki croaked. "We must report to the Hokage. This is someone's doing, or else the trees around would be damaged."

"You're right. Let's go quickly," Gaara agreed.

They headed off to the Hokage's office, and Akki wiped away her tears as they went.

That cottage held so many memories. It held the times that Gaara had slowly opened up to her, the times they just stayed there all day with the occasional chatter. It was almost everything to her; except Gaara it was one of the only things that she could actually say was good in her life. And now it was gone. That was her home, her safe haven, her happy place. It really did mean a lot, and for that to be gone was, an understatement to say, a disaster.

"Gaara!" She cried out as they were nearing the Hokage's Tower. "What are we going to do?"

"I don't know, Akki. I do know that we'll be okay. We just need to get through this, okay?" He said reassuringly, "We can't change what's happened, but we can lessen that pain by moving on."

Akki stared at him in awe. His words were beautiful. They encouraged Akki to be stronger, to not be knocked down by something that she could get over.

"That's right! More than anything, we need to focus on the exam and finding out who did this."

***

"Hmm," The Hokage grumbled, "I think this is, as you said, someone's doing. It's got to be."

Akki nodded, "I thought it might be someone in the Chuunin Exams, desperate for the win. They know about Gaara and I being demons, and they know we're strong so they're trying to knock us down."

Gaara and the old Hokage stared at her in awe. In so little time, she'd come up with a massive conclusion like that which is most likely right.

"Mhmm," the Hokage nodded. "I think you are probably correct, my child."

Akki smiled lightly, gripping onto Gaara's hand again. She was a little conscious of people she wasn't familiar with.

"Thank you, Hokage-sama. What do you suggest we do of the situation?" Akki said.

"I say that you rest easy until the exams are over. Until then, you must stay under a superior adult's care to assure your safety," The Third Hokage stated.

Gaara nodded, and bowed. They left.

"I'll send a messenger later to inform you of the plans! For now, stay safe!" The Hokage shouted after them.

Akki called back a simple 'thank you'. Gaara and Akki made their way to a simple clearing in the forest, close enough to the town but fair away enough for comfort.

"I don't know what to think of this," Gaara announced.

"Hm? What do you mean?"

"I mean, of course I am unhappy with the situation but at the same time it will not make too big an impact on our lives. I say we forget, and move on. We must focus on the challenges that lay ahead of us first," Gaara explained.

Akki nodded, squeezing Gaara's hand. Not once since they saw the sight of the house had they let go.

Something in both of their hearts didn't want them to let go. So they didn't.

"I wish we could just stay like this forever," Akki mumbled. Gaara nodded in agreement.

***

They woke up to a hell of a lot of shouting and some sort of sirens going off.

"GAARA OF THE SAND! AKKI OF THE SAND! REPORT TO US, NOW! WE WILL FIND YOU!"

"Oh my god!" Akki cried, shaking Gaara.

"Wake up!" She shouted. "They think we've tried to make a runner!"

Gaara shifted groggily, but with the sound of the sirens he was wide awake in no time. They rushed towards the nearest searcher.

"We're so sorry-"

"ALERT! I HAVE FOUND THEM! RETURN TO THE HOKAGE!" The man shouted. They heard a lot of rushing and as the ninjas ran past them, they earned a fair share of glares.

Nothing they weren't used to.

"I- I mean we, are so sorry. We just fell asleep and lost track of time-"

"I'm Iruka," The man said, holding out his hands. "No need to worry. We were worried about you being killed more than anything."

"Thank you!" Akki exclaimed. Gaara just nodded along with her words.

"Nah, it's alright. Now come on. The Hokage's waiting, I think he may have-... Ah, just wait and see," Iruka replied.

They all walked to the Hokage Tower; Iruka walking ahead as if the younger pair didn't know how to get there already.

"You two! Where on earth have you been, we've all been waiting for your return!" The Hokage snapped. He wasn't really agitated.

Underneath, he was just worried for the youthful ninjas. He knew they held great potential.

"We lost track of time and fell asleep," Gaara said. "Our deepest apologies."

"That's very alright. Now, I think we may have found the culprit."

Akki and Gaara's eyes widened.

"What?! Who?" Akki asked.

"Orochimaru. We're assuming he's been hiding as a Sound ninja, so your theory has proven correct. We just need to withdraw their team from the exam, eliminate them and make sure of any other fakes."

However, with the series of events, they couldn't find the ninjas.

All they knew that they were in the Forest of Death, the next Chuunin exam after the easy papers and rest of courage to see who would back out.

And they didn't know where. They didn't know who they were targeting.

The Hokage assumed Akki, Gaara or Sasuke Uchiha, the last Uchiha of the village after the disappearance of his brother. All three held great potential that would be highly useful to an evil bastard like Orochimaru, and that's why he was there.

He wouldn't get away with it.

...or would he?

***

I hope you liked this! Sorry for the cliffhanger, I tend to do that a lot don't I? I tried to make it longer and more special since it's our tenth chapter. It's probably like the rest. •/_\• oh well!