TWELVE

| Grateful of the Present |

☆☆☆☆

Silence filled the potion classroom as students sat and racked their brains for the correct answer to the quiz put in front of them by Slughorn. The occasional scoot of a chair, cough, and scribbles of quills accompanied the silence.

At one end of the class sat James, and at the other was Nova.

Engrossed with the task of accomplishing her quiz, Nova furiously scribbled down her answers on the parchment paper before her. She hadn't had much time for studying but made sure to fill in every blank because she thought it looks better to fill in random nonsense than to turn it in blank.

James on the other hand had completely forgotten to study, and already filled out what he knew. He gave up on trying to read off of Remus' paper because he kept placing his elbow in James' line of view. So James resorted to watching Nova finish her test, but not in a creepy way. In an adoring way.

He watched in awe as a strand of hair fell in front of her face and he longed to get out of his seat and walk across the room in order to brush the peace behind her ear. It sounded cliche, but every since the duo had rekindled their fire James felt a need to make sure he was there for her whenever possible to avoid another disaster.

With his face being held by the palm of his hand, like a lost puppy, James was interrupted out of his daze by Professor Slughorn clearing his throat loudly. Not only did he catch the attention of James, but the entire class also looked up from the tedious test.

With a stern, yet amused expression upon his features Slughorn warned, "Now Mr.Potter, I understand you believe Miss Green is a very attractive young lady, but she should not distract you from finishing your test. I advise you focus on the task in front of you if you want to make it to your quidditch match."

Normally this did not happen as arrogance was usually written all over James Potter, but he had been caught in a moment of vulnerability as his ears began to transform pink and adjusted his collar from the sudden heat, "My bad professor. It won't happen again."

Nova felt an odd sense of pride that James had been caught ogling herself rather than a redheaded Gryffindor that resided somewhere among the classroom, and she imagined Lily must have been fuming by now.

When Nova turned to the boys sitting near James she caught the eyes of Sirius Black as he gave her a wink and wiggled his eyebrows.

Immature. She rolled her eyes, but could not wipe the goofy grin that reached her lips as she continued to write.

Soon after Potions class had come to an end and the whole class rushed out with excitement flowing through the air for yet another quidditch match.

Nova did not feel like attending the game, but something within her obliged to attend because James was her-her what?

Boyfriend? That term was foreign among the two because no words were exchanged as to where the two stood. Obviously they loved each other because it was declared by both, but maybe it only happened because they were stuck in a rough patch.

☆☆☆☆

"Did you see me win the match?" James asked with a smirk appearing on his lips.

It was nightfall and James laid with Nova in his arms as they watched the stars twinkle above them. The two currently resided among the astronomy tower as they chatted.

Gryffindor took the win that evening when the snitch had been caught, and James having shot the last goal took it upon himself to groom his ego with that fact. The rest of their classmates had been down in the common room having a blast at the almost traditional party going on.

James had made an appearance for a little while and greeted everyone before disappearing off to the astronomy tower to meet Nova. Sure he loved a great party, but he enjoyed his time alone with Nova even more.

With a roll of her eyes Nova muttered jokingly, "For the hundredth time James, Yes I did. I was also yelling my lungs out to cheer for you. Did you hear that?"

He pulled her closer and kissed her forehead, "I sure did. It feels nice to know my girl is also my number one fan."

My girl.

That phrase had caught Nova off guard as she paused for a moment and didn't say a word. Her head rested atop of James' sturdy chest as her arm draped across his stomach. She listened to his heartbeat as it remained steady as if the sentence he just said didn't faze him. Nova felt her heart beat faster as she opened her mouth to speak.

"James, what are we doing?"

He seemed confused and shifted a tad bit to look down and meet Nova's eyes, "I think we're cuddling, and I think we were having a moment-"

She chuckled very softly, "Okay I'm not stupid I get that, but what are we doing? I know labels are nerve wracking, but I literally have no idea where we stand. One minute we're in a supply closet saying 'I love you' and kissing, then the next we go to hugging and being friends. We clearly feel for each other and I need to know if you want to make this work."

A sigh came from James' mouth before a laugh escaped after. The rumble from his chest sent goosebumps through Nova's body as she gave him an incredulous expression, "What is so funny?"

James composed himself to the best of his ability and placed his thumb underneath Novas chin to meet her gaze, " I'm laughing because even though it may not seem like it I'm a mess around you. Now I didn't want to admit this because c'mon I'm James Potter, but you-" he poked her cheek softly, "you make me feel like nobody ever has. I catch myself staring at you more often than I should and I worry about you when I'm trying to sleep, but your smile, laugh, and eyes drive me crazy. In truth all I'm trying to say is I love you and will you be my girlfriend."

A smile crept upon Nova's mouth as she processed what had happened and she placed one of her hands on his chest and the other cupped his cheek as she reached up and pecked him on the lips. James had been caught by surprise but he quickly caught on and kissed back lovingly as his hands supported her back. The taste of her smooth lips were encased in a fruity chapstick, perhaps strawberry, as James smiles once the flavor reached his mouth.

The duo broke away and sucked in a breath of air as they smiled and looked at eachother with caring expressions.

Nova moved her head until her mouth resided next to James' ear and whispered, " I'm completely infatuated and in love with you too... boyfriend."

James wrapped his arm around her neck and the other found her waist as he pulled her closer, sending shivers down her spine. His mouth reached hers eagerly as he brought their lips together once more, and Nova wasted no time and kissed back hungrily.

Nova liked having a boyfriend, and James liked having a girlfriend.

The once rocky past the couple held was forgotten as for once James made Nova feel grateful for the present and hopeful for the future.

☆☆☆☆

Not going to lie to you people, this felt a little cheesy to write. But who doesn't love a little mac and cheese?

Anyways I love hearing from you guys so don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed.