Chapter 9

The next morning, I rolled out of bed with a bright grin on my face as I remembered the evens of the night before. I had gotten home pretty late last night. Kris and I had spent most of the night catching up with one another and sharing kisses here and there. Nothing particularly risque had taken place, but I had had the time of my life.

Kris and I were to go out to breakfast this morning. We were headed to the place that he had taken me the first time we'd ever gone out together, so I knew that I didn't need to dress too nice, but I still wanted to look good. It was our first technical date, after all.

It took me a while to decide what to wear, but in the end I opted to go with a more casual look. I slipped into a pair of light wash denim boyfriend shorts, a white crop tank, and tied a flannel around my waist. On my feet were a pair of white low-top converse. My eyeshadow was done with the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette, and I had a nude Charlotte Tilbury shade on my lips. I kept my hair simple, throwing in some dry shampoo and using my leftover waves from yesterday's braid. By the time I had finished getting ready, it was just about time for Kris to pick me up.

As if planned, the doorbell to my apartment rang just as I was putting the finishing touches on my lipstick. With one last glance in the mirror, I hurried to the door to let Kris in. Since figuring out how to get into my building a couple of weeks before I had left for Boston, every time Kris and I went somewhere he made a point to come all the way up to the fifth floor just to ring my doorbell. It was adorable, if a tad bit excessive.

I opened the door to my apartment to see Kris dressed in a pair of grey shorts and a black V-neck, a bouquet of lilies in his hands. Shocked and impressed, I let my hands fly up to my mouth to cover where it had fallen open. I let an appalled chuckle fall out as I muttered, "Oh, my. Kris, you really didn't have to."

He leaned forward to press a chaste kiss to my lips muttering, "Of course I did. It's our first real date. I have to treat you right. Now let's get these into a vase."

I nodded, and Kris pressed a hand against the small of my back as the two of us headed further into the apartment, where I retrieved a vase from the kitchen. Kris helped me to get the flowers situated, going so far as to arrange them properly inside the vase. Once we had finished with the lilies, Kris led me out to his car, which was parked up against the sidewalk on the street. I couldn't help but laugh a little, seeing his Range Rover parked alongside the hybrid vehicles and small cars that inhabited the area most of the time.

Like a gentleman, Kris opened the passenger seat door for me and helped me climb in before shutting it and getting in his own seat. I looked over at him as he turned the key to start the car and said, "So, how does it feel being front runner for NL MVP in June?" Last night on the MLB Network, they had done an extensive segment on the Cubs, and had talked for at least five minutes about how likely Kris was to hold the MVP spot come the end of the season. I knew that he had seen it.

Kris let out a chuckle and pulled onto the busy street, saying, "It's too early to tell that stuff. Besides, you know I don't care what they say about me. It could be good or bad, and I wouldn't pay attention either way."

"Mhmm," I hummed, "And if you don't pay attention, Kris, then why do you watch?"

"Oh shut up," Kris muttered, taking my hand in his. The rest of the ride consisted of a comfortable silence between the two of us, the only sound coming from the Taylor Swift that played softly on the radio. Kris didn't let go of my hand, and for some reason, I found a strange comfort in that fact.

We pulled up to the restaurant quite a while later, and Kris helped me out of the car like the true gentleman that he had been the entire morning. It was almost a little odd, to see Kris being so overly polite, but I kind of enjoyed it.