The Safe Place (Chapter 3) EDITED

hey! hope you enjoy! let me know what you think Comment and vote please!!!!!!

This chapter takes place 2 weeks later.  Time skipping because not much has happened and yeah.  Basically, kiera has just become closer with Zack and Drew

Kiera's POV 

I woke up in a stark white room.  There was a dull beeping next to me and several machines nearby.  I could feel several different needles sticking into my arms.  My whole body ached.  I knew something was wrong. The men standing around me looked important; almost like doctors.  They were all wearing lab coats and writing things down on clipboards.  When they saw that I was awake, they walked over to me, maniacal grins on their faces. 

"Hey there princess" one of them sneered "finally decide to grace up with your presence huh?" I cringed away from the disgust and obvious bloodlust in his eyes.  He looked insane.  He looked threatening. 

For the next few hours, they ran countless tests on me.  They tested my body's reaction to different stimuli. Those hours were gruelling.  When I finally felt like my body was about to give out on me, the tests stopped.  I looked into the blood shot eyes of the man who brought me here.

"No matter what" he said, his raspy voice barely a whisper "no one can know what is going on, not a soul can be aware of the things happening in this laboratory, or we will be shut down, kicked out, and put to death for endangering life.  But, we'll make sure you're dead first." I looked up at him, scared.

"Why am I here, why me?" I looked up at the aging man.

"You will find out in time child, you just have to wait, and you will understand everything. Now go home and we'll come find you when we need you again." I looked down, cowering at the threatening tone of his voice.

As I walked home, I could only think about Drew and Zack, my only friends here.  The only ones who would notice. How could I keep something this huge from them, how could I keep this a secret and not act suspicious. How? I knew they would want to know someone had hurt me, tortured me, and threatened to do it again. 

As I walked up the driveway, I saw that my mom wasn't home. So, at least ill have a little time alone today, I thought to myself.  Enough time to figure out how to hide all the damage inflicted upon me, anyways. As I walked into the bathroom, I saw the cuts and bruises that covered my arms, shoulders and face. So much for no one noticing.  I grabbed my makeup and did the best I could to cover up all the bruises and cuts I could.  But no matter what, they were still slightly visible.  When I was satisfied that they weren't too noticable, I went downstairs and sat on the couch.

A little later, my mom got home and we ordered pizza for dinner and watched a movie.  After the movie had gone off, i reurned to my room and tossed and turned for hours before finally falling into a deep, dreamless sleep.

Zack's POV

Something was wrong with Kiera. Something big. She looked like she hadn't slept at all, and she looked like she was on something. Even Drew noticed.  Something was up, and we were going to find out.  One way or another.  After first period was over, Kiera ran out of the classroom.  By the time I made it out into the hallway, she was gone.  I couldn't see her anywhere.  So much for confronting her.  Drew and i made it till lunch without seeing any trace of Kiera.  When she finally appeared in the cafeteria, she looked worse than she had earlier. The bruises under her eyes were much more prominent and she looked sickly pale.  Who the hell would do this to her? And why? 

As I saw her walking into the cafeteria, I approached her.  drew was getting his lunch, but I knew that if e saw us walk out, he would follow.  I quickly sent him a text telling him where to go.  Then I grabbed Kiera's arm and led her out the door.  When we finally made it out to my car, she looked like she was on the verge of tears. 

"Are you gonna tell me what's wrong?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

She went for the oblivious approach.  "nothing happened, I swear.  I'm just not sleeping well.  That's all." She tried forcing a smile. 

"You're lying." I whispered, staring into her eyes. Her eyes started filling with tears. 

"Come here baby." I pulled her into my arms.  I opened the car door and sat her in the passenger seat.  I walked around to the other side and we waited for Drew to get there. 

A few minutes later, he opened the back door and got in. 

"So exactly what is going on Kiera, and please don't lie." 

"I can't tell you." She said. Her voice barely noticable.

"And why the fuck not?!" Drew said, getting more angry.

"Because the person who did this to me threatened me.  I'm telling you something bad is happening to me, but I can't tell you anymore.  And you're not going to be able to prevent it.  Trust me.  I've tried.  they said they'd kill anyone who stood in their way and that if i tried to stop him, I'd die before they went down."

"we'll go to the police." I offered.

"won't do any good.  These men still managed to get me, even after I went."

"Damnit!" I shouted, Hitting the steering wheel.  "This is going to stop. Ask your mother if you can stay at my house tonight?"

"i'll ask."

By then, it was time to go to class.  So i grabbed Kiera's bag from her and walked with her to class.  Before I left, I wrapped my arms around her.  I Kissed her on the forehead, trying to be comforting.

"I swear, I will protect you baby."  She smiled up at me, tears still in her eyes.  Whatever was going on had to stop.  I Hated feeling unale to protect Kiera.  And my growing feelings for her weren't really helping that either.

---------------------------------------------------------------