21 • Two Different Hells

As if deliberately taunting her, Eva’s day seemed to drag out even slower than usual and she was beginning to feel restless

    She finally had just one more class to go and it certainly didn’t help that it was PE. Sports was definitely way, way past her capabilities —however limited those might be.

    The PE teacher, Mrs Novak, who’s been there ever since freshmen year must have sensed for herself that Eva wasn’t the healthiest child by her frail stature and long limbs because she left her to her own devices and never really forced her into participation of any kind. Eva was, in a way, grateful for that. She didn’t think she could handle being part of a team; it was too much work. She much preferred sitting by herself on the bleachers and trying to decide what to cook for dinner once she got home.

    And that was what she did today too —she made her way to the bleachers, no detours and definitely no hesitations. That was, of course, until she laid her bag by her side and looked up from her seat towards the entrance of the gym and saw a familiar girl whose face was literally radiating. Maite was like a tightly sealed bottle of everything happy and light that couldn’t help but reflect all that goodness into her surroundings.

    “Perfect,” Eva groaned quietly to herself.

    She quickly looked down at her shoes, letting her hair fall in front of her so that most parts of her face would be hidden from Maite’s view.

    “EVA!” Maite’s voice boomed across the huge hall, her upbeat tone making a handful of students to stop in their tracks and stare at her in surprise.

    “QUIET!” Another female voice thundered, though it was bolder and stern. Maite cast a sheepish smile at Mrs Novak and waved awkwardly.

    “New girl,” Maite explained shortly, an apologetic look on her face.

    Mrs Novak grimaced, “so they let you holler about in your old school?”

    Maite’s cheeks flushed, “well, no, bu —”

    “Then don’t give me that pathetic excuse!” Mrs Novak blew fiercely on her whistle, the shrill sound making Maite and everyone within a five metre radius wince.

    “Yes,” Maite squeaked, “sorry.”

    “Good, now get out of my face.”

    “Oh, but —”

    “Now.”