Acceptance

I stared at the mystery box before me absentmindedly, unsure of what to do and why (Y/N) looked so excited. I blinked a few times as I looked between her and this box. It was wrapped with decorative paper that hindered the object that resided inside. I glanced back up at (Y/N) to see her clasping her hands together with the upmost of happiness, her expression filled with joy and anticipation.

"...what's inside?" I finally managed to mutter out.

"Well unwrap it and open it up to find out! Have you never received a gift before?" She asked, leaning closer to me.

I stayed silent to think over the question.

"....a gift?"

"Yeah! You know, for your birthday or for Christmas?"

You do?...

Thinking about it now, I don't think I had ever received a 'gift' before in my life...or at least I don't remember... I know when it was (Y/N)'s birthday or when it was Christmas, she would come back with so many new objects and when she was younger; toys. She shared nearly everything she received with me but there was only so much she could share since most of her products were feminine in which I didn't find too much interest in them. However...that started to stop over the years and eventually she only came home with four items instead of the usual fifteen. Why didn't I notice it before and why hadn't I asked?

I couldn't help but wonder why. Why would you give gifts on two days out of the year and why did her gifts dwindle dramatically over the years?

I looked up at (Y/N).

"(Y/N)?..."

"Yes Gaara?"

Should I ask her? It's not any of my business but I'm quite curious...it might even have something to do with me.

"Why haven't you been getting as much gifts as you used to?"

Her smile immediately faded from her features and was replaced by a stunned expression, however she quickly recovered and calmly replied, "How about you open up your gift?"

My eyes narrowed promptly at this. She was definitely hiding something from me...but perhaps she had a reason for doing so. Either way she did say she wouldn't hide anything from me...

"Why are you-"

"Just...open your gift first and I promise I'll tell you afterwards...okay?"

My eyes widened slightly at her words and I turned back to the box in front of me. I of course hesitated, however I decided to place my trust in her just as I always have.

I reached out and began to unwrap the decorative paper that surrounded it. It made quite a loud racket but I was able to remove it. I moved it away from us and started to unfold the box. As I opened it, I found a small beige beanie staring back at me. I picked it up and immediately noticed how warm it was.

(Y/N) smiled and scratched the back of her neck as she said, "Heh, I know Christmas was a few days ago and this is late but that also means that the weather will only get harsher so I wanted to get you a few things that will keep you warm. I can't have you getting sick on me you know!"

I blinked and looked up her with a bit of surprise.

"A few things?"

"Umm yeah! I wasn't gonna get you a beanie only, look into the box."

I did as I was suggested and saw that there was indeed sweaters, warm ups, jeans, long sleeves, a gray scarf and a pair of winter boots. Each one of the clothing were quite soft and beautifully designed. One sweater in particular was very silky that I found myself sighing into it and making (Y/N) laugh. She reached for the beanie and placed it upon me.