part 14

'I HOPE YOU KNOW'

Realising Enoch wasn't going to say anything else, Hugh sighed as he got up and made his way down the corridor towards the stairs, but as he passed Nevaeh's door, his heart sank

For coming from behind the door he could hear very quiet crying.

Being the peace keeper that he is, he took a deep breath and knocked.

"Nevaeh?" After a few moments of nothing he tried again.

"Nevaeh it's Hugh." When there was no answer again he sighed.

As he opened the door he gasped. She was sitting on the floor, crying with paper strewn around the place.

"Nevaeh!" Hugh mumbled as he rushed over and hugged her.

"Get off me bee boy." She mumbled, pulling away from him.

"No no, I'm helping you!" Hugh exclaimed.

"You're squashing me." She sniffed.

"Why are you crying?" He asked, releasing her from the hug.

"I'm just sad Hugh, you wouldn't understand."

"I know everything." Hugh informed her whilst looking at the floor.

"Seriously?" Nevaeh groaned.

With a sheepish nod Hugh picked up a piece of paper. "What is all this?"

"Letters, from my old loop." She mumbled.

"I didn't know you could do that." Hugh frowned as he read a few lines of a letter.

"You can't." Nevaeh said before snatching it from his hand.

"Then how?"

"I wrote them to myself for me to read when I'm sad." She said while wiping her eyes.

"Enoch loves you." Hugh blurted the words out before he could stop himself and went severely red as a result.

"He hates me." She laughed sourly.

"He's a real mess, I went to see him earlier and he told me so." Hugh said matter of factly. "And I know you love him too."

"I smacked him Hugh and it wasn't out of love." Nevaeh exclaimed while gathering up the paper and putting it back in a well thumbed through envelope.

At her words Hugh let out a long sigh of relief. "Thank bird it was Enoch!" He exclaimed, "I thought someone hit you."

Nevaeh just rolled her eyes. "You shouldn't have been listening."

"It wasn't my idea!"

"Then who's was it?"

"Mine."

Nevaeh's head swiveled round so quickly resulting in Hugh being hit in the face with a wave of her long hair.

"That was incredibly convenient Millard, now where the hell are you?" Nevaeh seethed.

"Beside your bed," he answered, "I'm sorry that I told them to listen."

"Firstly, if you even so much as think about touching my bed whilst you are in the nude then I promise that I will personally feed you to the Hollows. And thank you for your apology."

"I'm going to go now, I hope you get better." Millard announced in a rushed tone before the floor boards creaked by the door.

"Bit harsh." Hugh laughed when they were sure he was downstairs.

"Millard put some clothes on!" They heard Bronwyn scream.

After a while of just sitting together in silence, with her head resting on Hugh's, Nevaeh stood up.

"I'll be back in a minute." She said with a sigh.

"Sure, I'm going to go find the girls anyway." Hugh replied as he gave her one last hug before walking out.

"And Hugh." She said before the boy walked out her door, "thank you."

Once he left, Nevaeh got up and made her way to Enoch's room.
"Go away Hugh!" Enoch shouted after she knocked his door.

"I'm not Hugh."

All noises in Enoch's room suddenly stopped and he cautiously opened the door.

"Can I come in please?" She asked.

Enoch nodded in reply before opening the door wider.

"I'm sorry." She said as she sat on his bed.

"Don't bother apologizing, it doesn't matter," He said while lifting something off his desk and handing it to her, "I fixed it for you."

"Thank you." She smiled as she hugged the doll.

"It's fine." He said while sitting down beside her.

"Honestly I'm so sorry." She whispered.

"I told you not to apologise."

"I'm not."

"You are." He sighed.

"I don't care."

"Well we all know that." He grumbled.

"What is that supposed to mean?" She asked as she looked him in the eye.

"You really don't know do you. I mean haven't you noticed what your doing to people, haven't you noticed what your doing to me?"

"And what exactly am I doing?"

"Your driving people crazy, me in particular!"

"Don't you get that i didn't want any of this to happen. I wanted to come here and start fresh, but its been so hard because I fell for you."

"So your saying that it's my fault?"

"No, yes, I don't know. I'm not saying that." she groaned.

He scoffed "Then what are you saying?"

"I don't know! I just want to get better." She whispered.

"And you will, you know you will." He said as he put his hand on her cheek.

"But I can't do it on my own."

"you will, it just takes time."

"Well how long?" She groaned

"We're stuck in a loop, it doesn't matter how long." He smirked.

As they stared at each other, their faces met.

The kiss was filled with happiness, sadness and everything in between. It was filled with everything the children were scared to say. But somehow, it was enough.

Soon enough the kiss became heated and they had to pull apart for breath.

As Enoch pulled her closer to him, he looked her in the eyes.

"I hope you know."

Staring back up at him Nevaeh smiled.

"Know what?"

"That I love you." He chuckled.

"Enoch guess what."

"What?"

"I love you too."