Chapter 17

Cody looked at the girl across from him, not knowing where to start, not sure if he could say what he wanted to and not sound mean, but this had to be done.

"Em, I..." and that's where he got stuck, his mouth opening and closing as he refused to meet her worried eyes. "I just... I really wanted to talk to you about something and I don't want you to take it the wrong way."

And all Emma could do was nod back at him and let out a quiet breath, nibbling on her bottom lip as she had an idea about what he was going to say. She didn't say anything though, instead just watched him and waited for him to continue, easily seeing how nervous he was and that he had to do this at his own pace.

Cody combed his fingers through the front of his curls, trying his hardest to pick his head up, stop staring at his hands and finally just get on with it. "I-I don't want this to sound mean or anything but I have to tell you that I don't think we can like talk or hang out or anything anymore," he barely whispered, actually having it in himself to glance at his ex-girlfriend through his eyelashes.

And he was actually surprised that Emma didn't look mad or angry at him, but instead was offering him a tight lined smile, almost seeming like she was expecting him to say something like that.

"It's just that... TJ and I, well we're having our baby soon and I'm trying really hard to patch things up with him and I feel like it would be better if I focused on him and just our family right now. I need him to know that he's the only one and I'm not second guessing anything with him, and I can't do that if we stay in contact."

Cody was just grateful Emma wasn't crying or seemed that her feelings were hurt at all. If anything she looked concerned, almost worried that she had caused even more problems between him and TJ.

Cody I'm so sorry, I never meant for any of this to happen, she signed quickly and about to continue to apologize until she saw the older lad shaking his head.

"Really it's okay, I don't want you to feel bad," Cody said softly. "It's really on me for not handling everything properly and just overall fucking up," he said honestly, still not believing how terribly he messed up with TJ. "TJ and I are actually doing pretty great right now so please don't worry."

Emma let out a deep breath, that definitely making her feel better but she still couldn't help but feel a bit guilty. I understand Cody, really.

And there was nothing else Cody really had to say.

He looked around the cafe quickly for a second, just checking to see if anyone was watching them, if they recognized him and thankfully no one was even giving him a second glance.

"Well uh, that's all I really wanted to talk about, and thanks for meeting me and everything, I appreciate it," he said softly, offering her the smallest of smiles.

Yeah, of course, Emma signed as she bit her lip and nodded back at him.

And that was all Cody really wanted to say, he didn't want to linger and stay for lunch or have a cup of tea, but just say what he needed to say and get on with his day. So he said his final goodbye, this time being the last goodbye before pushing himself out of his seat and leaving the cafe.

It was a weird feeling, leaving his past behind him and moving on from what was such a big part of his life for so long. But he had bigger things happening now, better things, and that's what he wanted to focus on. It was going to be him, TJ and their little girl, and Cody needed them to know they were going to be first, that his family was the most important thing to him.

And on his way to see his boyfriend he picked up a little something for TJ and their little girl, just so the younger lad knew he was thinking about them today.