Chapter Fourteen #1

Des Moines, Iowa

"Well, you can't have our food," Rick was saying to Brian. "It's ours."

Brian was staring at him like he was crazy.

He is, Sara thought as she put a hand on his shoulder, in his own way. "Honey," she said, afraid for him.

"It's a donation for those who are protecting this neighborhood," David repeated from behind Brian's shoulder.

Sara's blood boiled at the sight of the man. He wouldn't dare do this if he didn't have his goon on his side.

"I never make donations unless I have researched the charity in question," Rick began.

"Would you both shut the fuck up?" Brian barked.

"But—" Rick began.

Brian punched him, sending him sprawling. To David and the woman, he said, "Get the food." They brushed past Sara. She turned and caught a glimpse of Padme's wide, terrified eyes before the door to the girls' bedroom slammed shut again. The thieves ignored it, heading into the kitchen.

"You can't do this," Rick insisted, struggling back to his feet and holding his bloody nose. "It's against the law."

"So call the fucking cops," Brian growled.

"I will," Rick replied, brandishing his cellphone.

Brian snatched it out of his hand and hit him again. "Fucking moron! Don't call the cops."

"But you said—"

Krishna, forgive me, but my husband really is a fucking moron, Sara thought, grimacing.

"What the fuck is all this shit?" David's voice came from the kitchen. Brian had his gun out now, and he gestured Sara back toward the kitchen. As she went, she saw Rick's eyes widen, like it had just now dawned on him that they were being threatened.

David was riffling through the cupboards. The woman had a cardboard box about halfway full of various stuff. David held up a package.

"They are called papadum," Sara said.

"And this?" he asked, holding up a different package.

"It's chana masala."

"Don't you have any normal food?" he asked, his voice dripping in scorn.

That made Sara angry, recklessly so. She snatched up a butcher knife and advanced on him. He blanched. "You, you come in here and steal my food, and you have the gall to be upset because it's not to your liking?" She spun on the woman. "Take the box and get the fuck out of my house, and don't you ever come back." The woman grabbed the box and ran, David in hot pursuit.

"Is that all?" Brian demanded from the front room. One of the two must have nodded, because Sara didn't hear any response. Moments later the door slammed as they left.

When they were gone she locked and bolted the front door. She leaned against it, her hands shaking suddenly. Rick came from the bathroom, a paper towel over his nose.

"What I don't understand," she said, "is what on earth possessed you to open that door."

"They said they wanted to talk."

"Well, next time, say no," she snapped.