Jim had managed to get the police officers to turn the lights off. All he needed to do was get Plato outside where the police officers could help him.

It was difficult to get Plato to give him the gun in the first place, making it seem impossible to get him outside while still remaining calm. Plato wouldn't hurt anyone, and Jim was sure of that; as long as he didn't have any bullets in his mother's gun.

Which he didn't. But the police officers weren't aware of that.

  Jim succeeded in taking the bullets out without Plato knowing, hiding them between his white T-shirt and the waistline of his jeans. His heart was racing: practically pounding against his chest, making it harder for him to breathe. If he were to make a minor mistake and provoke Plato, or the police officers, his whole world would crumble. Jim sighed abruptly. His whole world consisted of Judy and Plato, and nothing else. He could care less about his parents or Buzz, or those hoodlums Judy used to hang out with. He could care less about what happens to him, as long as Judy and Plato were alright. Especially Plato. The boy just needs help, and Jim promised himself he was going to be the one to do that.

Friends always keep their promises.

Jim was about to go and get Plato and Judy, but decided that he'd tell the police about Plato's gun. He ran over to Ray, with his hands up in the air as Judy previously commanded him to, and gave him the bullets. "P-Plato- the kid with the gun- i... it isn't loaded. Don't scare him. Th-The kid just needs help," He panted, trembling like a scared puppy. Ray needed to pull through and help him, like he promised. He didn't know if Ray truly was his friend, so he didn't know for sure whether he's keep his promise. Jim glanced back at where Judy was holding Plato. She was just as terrified as he was, but both of them combined couldn't be nearly as terrified as Plato was. His large, dark brown eyes mirrored his internal horror. The way they frantically darted around the dark could fill anyone's heart with sorrow. It was a shame none of the outside policemen could see it.

Ray nodded and quickly took the bullets, placing them in his pocket before commanding all of the officers to drop their lights and weapons. It was silent amongst the mass of officers, none of them wanting to speak. The pressure the atmosphere brought on was lung-crushing. Maybe that was the reason why it was hard for Jim to breathe. He would've chuckled at that thought, but the situation was too tense for him. He ran back over to Judy, opening the door to take Plato in his arms.

The smaller boy collapsed, his grip on the shiny silver gun tighter than ever. Jim caught him and put his free arm around his body to support him before helping him down the steps. Judy trailed directly behind them and prepared herself to help. Her mind was racing just as fast as her heart, which beat so fast, she swore it stopped all together. Tears trailed down her once neatly blushed cheeks. Why would she let herself get into this mess? Why couldn't she just stay home and deal with her father like a strong girl? Maybe the reason was because she wasn't strong. There is a crucial difference between putting up a façade and being strong. Jim was genuinely strong. He was true and honest to not only himself, but everyone else. She admired that. Maybe that's why she troubled herself with his situation.

Jim dragged Plato to Ray, who rushed over and helped carry him to the closest police car. "These people aren't my friends, they-they don't want to help me, they don't like me-" Plato whimpered, refusing to look at anyone. He squeezed his eyes shut, wishing he had the strength to fight Jim and Ray, but he didn't. He felt physically and mentally drained. He couldn't handle this.
    "No, we do care. We are your friends," Ray spoke, with such a sincerity in his tone, he almost convinced Plato. Almost convinced him that he was telling the truth.
        Judy stood beside Jim, who wrapped his arm around her. He wasn't sure if it was to give her a sense of security, or to keep himself stable. He had so many questions to ask. What happened to the kid Plato shot? Will him and his family be forced to move again? What will happen to Judy? He swallowed dryly and inhaled: "What are you going to do with him, Ray? The kid- he didn't mean to hurt anyone- he was just scared-"
The older man turned to him as two police officers took Plato to one of the cop cars and helped him inside. They kept a firm, yet gentle grip on him.
"We're going to get him the help he needs." Ray affirmed, giving Jim a confident nod. Even he sympathized with Plato; the poor boy didn't have a father, nor a decent mother at home for him. "And have a word with his mother-"
"Wait- Ray-! He's not gonna get in trouble now, is he?!" Jim latched onto Ray's arm, letting go of Judy. "Those kids attacked us-! He got scared- we all got scared!"
Ray stared down at Jim, their eyes trying to read each other's. Neither knew what the other was thinking, or whether they understood each other.

"I know. He won't be in any trouble. We just need to do some evaluations, is all. You're free to join, if you please. You too, Judy."

The ride to the police station was long. It was longer than it should have been. Jim sat in the back of the police vehicle with his arms around Plato, who trembled violently. Judy understood that Plato required Jim's full attention at the moment, so she didn't attempt to intervene or receive attention. She could only sit in silence, waiting for her mother or father to pick her up from the police station.
Both were going to be angry. Horribly angry. She was certain neither knew she wasn't trying to find trouble. Trouble just always had a way of finding her. The same could be said for Jim, who was constantly burdened with trouble.
The windows drowned in the dark from the black night sky. It was a wonder the officer driving the car could see where he was going. Despite having headlights on, the starry abyss seemed to swallow up any outside light, as if to chase it off its property.

After all, when the sun went down, and the children went home, the night ruled over its rightful territory.