(City Of Glass) Chapter Nineteen: Max Lightwood

Skylar and Jace ran into the Hall Of Accords in a hurry, Alicante was under attack by demons who sneaked through the city. Skylar's first thought was about Isabelle and Clary, something was wrong with Isabelle. "Skylar! Jace!" Alec shouted and walked over to them, Skylar looked around in a panic and gulped.

"Where is she?" She asked

"Isabelle?"

"Yes Isabelle! Who else?!"

"At The Penhallow's with Sebastian."

"Good, Magnus?!" Skylar walked around Alec and headed towards the warlock. 

"Oh it's you." Magnus said and crossed his arms at her. Skylar tilted her head slightly confused. 

"Why so bitter?"

"Why didn't you come to me? Instead you went to Tessa?"

"Well believe it or not. Tessa doesn't go anywhere since Will so she helped me through what I was going through unlike you Magnus Bane. You go out to party every goddamn night." Skylar said, she looked at her sword and sighed. "Oh here's the book." She pulled it out of her bag and handed it too him. 

"Well pumpkin, you never let me down." Magnus's eyes glittered, he looked through the book and smiled. 

"Skye, we gotta go get Simon out." Jace said walking over, Skylar nodded and looked at Magnus. 

"I'll see you later...maybe my mother will be awake by that time?"

"I'll take that as a hint."

~

After Sebastian hinted something has happened to one of the Lightwood's, before Alec could argue with her. Skylar had made her way to The Penhallow's hoping Max and Isabelle were alright and that Sebastian didn't do what she thought he did. She ran inside the Penhallow's and began to look around frantically.  

Skylar ran over to Isabelle and Max who laid on the floor, she went to Isabelle and felt a slight pulse. "Thank the angel." She whispered and crawled over to Max,  she checked for a pulse on his wrist. She froze feeling nothing, Skylar crawled back and shook her head. "This isn't happening." She covered her face and sniffed.  

"Skye? Is everything alright?" Alec asked walking over to his siblings, Jace walked over to Skylar who began to sob silently.  

"H-He's gone." Alec said, he stood up and closed his eyes.  Jace pulled Skylar up and pulled her into a hug. "Max is gone.."

~

When Simon talked to Isabelle, she sent her parabatai out and said she should go home and make sure Clary was alright. Skylar laid on her bed in Amatis's home, she couldn't sleep all she could think about was Max. She stared at the ceiling, wishing there was a way for her to save Max. She felt her parabatai's pain, saw the look in Alec's eyes filled with sorrow. "Skylar." Jace said, he slipped through the window and walked over to her bed. "Are you okay?"

"It's not what I expected...mourning. It sucks."

"It's our life, we fight, we love and we die." Jace said

"I have never felt this useless in my life, I can't help Iz."

"She needs time, everyone grieves differently."

"I know." Skylar sighed, Jace crawled into bed with her and looked up. She had been staring at it as if there was something there. 

"What are you looking at?"

"Nothing, you know as a child I had trouble sleeping." skylar admitted

"Why?"

"The first time he beat me, I was scared to sleep. As I stayed awake each night, I would hear demons or his men in my room watching me. I-I was scared that the moment I closed my eyes, something awful would have happened to me..So when mother saved me from him. I stayed with Magnus who noticed my issue. He brought those glow in the dark stars thingy and put it on the ceiling, the twist was he had casted a spell. Every time I looked up at it, I would fall asleep peacefully.."

"Do you still need it?" Jace asked curiously

"Depends, I found another way that helped me sleep and it was you. I remember that night clearly, the first time I stayed in your room late at night. When you held me I felt safe and was able to fall asleep with magic. It was a relief.." Jace reached for her hand and held it. 

"Can I just stay here for tonight?"

"It would be nice.." Skylar admitted and smiled. "I love you Jace."

"I love you too, now get some rest Skye. You deserve it." Jace kissed her forehead and smiled. "Night, beautiful." He whispered.