8- Meeting Old Friends

We were driving slower when we got into town, trying to move by slowly unnoticed. I didn’t see any walker out in the open, I mean as normal. Yes, there were a few stragglers here and there, but no groups that were a big threat. Plus, the stragglers weren’t noticing us. We pulled into Casey’s ever so slowly; we sat in the car still silent, as we watched through the doors & windows of Casey’s. “Look at all of them.” Jordan said in awe. “Let’s go!” He reaches in back, but I grab his arm. “What do you think your doing?” I said slowly. “Going to go zombie killing!” He said happily… “Um Where is your crossbow?” I ask knowing the answer. He looks at me, point in the back seat. “Ha-ha. No, that’s mine, along with my sword. Did you leave yours at home?” I asked slowly making sure he heard me. “I guess so... I CALL THE SWORD!” As he jumped for it, I pushed him back. “NO! NO. No. That is mine, you will use the cross bow. “Ah, man.” He said with great disappointment. He threw his arm back, and grabbed the cross bow, pulling it jerkily forward. “Jordan! Be careful with that.” I said sternly. He nods, reaches back, and pets my sword, and say “I’ll miss you baby.” I laugh. “Hand me my sword, silly!” He slow brings it forward, and places it in my hands. I set it on my lap and study our surrounding.

None of the walkers inside have took noticed to us, yet. I squint to see the front door of Casey’s. Its reads “Push”. That’s good that means non of the walkers inside can get out unless someone lets them out. All of them inside are split into three groups that I can see right now. Group one “The munchers” I can see a group in the back munching on something… or some one, I shiver at the thought. Group two “The distracted” Another part of the group is surrounding the stock room, and bathroom area. That is more than likely where the survivors ran off to in the heat off it all. Last but not least, Group 3 “The stragglers” There are a couple of walkers here, and there walking about inside the store. None on the outside so far, I look over at Jordan. He to is studying the surrounds, I look back at Casey’s. We are parked on the left side so I can’t see what is on the right side. But, on the left there is a air compressor, that says “Free” above that. That’s good we can use that as a distraction if needed. But, what catches my eye is even better. There is a ladder that gives you access to the roof. I smile, and say “Jordan, I have an idea.” Jordan sighs in relief, and says “Good, Because I’m not comin’ up with anything.” I laugh and say, “Did you bring you hatchet?” He smiles

“Hell ya! It’s in the back.” 

“Wait you forgot your cross bow, but brought the hatchet?”

“I didn’t got get my cross bow. I left it at home because I wanted to use the sword!”

“And, how did that work out for ya?”

He frowned and lifted the cross bow up. “Exactly” I say with a smile

“Okay. You made your point now what’s the plan.”

“Okay, see that ladder?”

“Yes ma’am! Do you see the Free sign!”

“Free is everything now a days, Jordan. But, we might need to use the Air Compressor for a distraction. Remember that!”

He nodded “Anyway...” he ads

“Oh right! The ladder. Okay. I think there are survivors in the supplies room. So we go on top of the roof, Use the hatchet to get through. Get them, Open the supplies room door and take out all the walkers…”

He thinks about it, and say’s “Did you notice there are three different groups?” I sigh and say, “Yes, that way I chose this it will make it all easier.” “Let’s do this!” He says with a smile!

            I slowly pull the truck up to the left side of the building. Jordan jumps out of the truck, and into the bed. Grabbing the hatchet, flinging the cross bow over his back, and climbing up the ladder in no time. I Put the truck in park and turn the car off. I shove the keys in my back pocket, but keep the doors unlocked for a quick get away. But, just in case I left the sun roof open. I climb up the ladder awkwardly with my sword in my hand. I get on top of the roof walk over to Jordan who is staring at me and says “What took you so long, slow poke.” To which I reply. “Hey, not all of us are Ninjas now a days.” “Yea…” He agrees with me, and looks at my sword. “but, you do have a Ninja weapon.” I smile and say. “Yep! Can you hold it for a second?” His face lights up. “Hell ya I will!”  hand it to him, and start undoing my belt. “uh…Nichole, what are you doing?” I look up to see him surprised. I stop fiddling with my belt, and put my hands on my hips while raising my eyebrow. “Oh! Your gonna put this” He said raising the sword. “On your… oh okay. I get it now.” He says smiling. I finish undoing my belt, he gives me back my sword sadly, I slide it on my belt, and buckle it back up.

            “Get going, hot suff.” I say with a wink. He smiles, throws the axe over his shoulder, I plug my ears, and in one swing splits the tin roof. “Whoa!” I say surprised. “How in the heck did you do that!” He flexed is arm. “Boom.” He says shortly. “Oh whatever! Get back to chopping!” I say playfully. About ten minutes later we had got through the roof, carefully peeled back the tin roof, got through so wood, removed installation, and through some more wood only to have two scared faces looking at us.

            They exchanged looks, and then looked back at us. They were both armed with a stick with pocket knifes duct taped to the ends tightly. “Can you guys move we are coming in.” Jordan said sternly. “No your not!” The one on the right screamed at us. “You’re infected! You all are! Me and Tyler are the only ones left!” I made a weird face, and crouched down. “Excuse me hunny, do I look infected to you! I am clean, and talking. Think about that.” I said very roughly. I hear Jordan laugh quietly under his breath behind me. “ What about the big scab down your face” The boy on the left say quietly. I frown, and touch my face. Jordan came up behind me, and put his hand on my shoulder. “She got in a car wreck, man.” He said defensively. “I was just asking.” The boy on the left said even quieter. “Okay you guys can come in.” The boy on the right side said. Jordan jumped in first, then I did almost falling on my face. I ran in the Jordan, who had caught me. “Gosh, Nichole! Your clumsy today!” I glared at him and said. “I know!” I looked at the two boys. “What’s your names?” The on the left  spoke first “I’m Tyler” The guy on the right punched him in the chest. “Dude, we don’t even know these people!” He hissed at Tyler under his breath. “I know her! I think I use to go to school with her. Nichole Blakely, right?” I asked looking at me. “Oh my god! Tyler Mcklintic, long time no see!” I said with a smile. He smiled back, “Are you going to tell them your name now?” Tyler asked his friend “No. They don’t need to know my real name. You guys can call me… Edge.” Edge said. “Works for me.” Jordan said examining the door that the walkers were pounding on. “ They are out there.” Edge said quietly. “Oh really?” Jordan said glancing over his shoulder with a smirk. “We are going to open this door, and kill them all. You with me or not?” He said to the two boys. I walk over beside Jordan, put my hand on his shoulder, and smile. “You guys coming or not?” I say playfully.

            “You guys are nuts going out there!” Edge say. “Gotta have my Twinkies!” Jordan howled “All this just for Twinkies?” Tyler said calmly. “Well, that for him, and supplies. Got to be some stuff out there we need.” I remove my hand Jordan’s shoulder, and walk over to the boys. “Look, you guys can get that ladder over there climb out that hole, and leave.” Their faces lit up. “Or, you can help us get through this, and we will take you back to his house, out in the country, surrounded by a ten foot concrete wall, with bob wire on top of it! We have a little bit of food, electricity from a windmill, and well water. We have it made out there, I’m only saying this, because Tyler here is an old friend of mine.” Jordan’s cuts me off “Any friend of hers is a friend of mine, but f the try something.” He flips out his pocketknife, and slides it across his throat. Edge swallowed, I think he picked his name right, because he always seemed to be on the edge. “It’s your choice, choose now.” Edge replied with “Leave now.” Tyler replied with “I’m coming with you.” They said this at the same time.

“Tyler!” Edge shouted, “Dude, they have it made! And you want to leave! If you want to go, go. But, I’m going with Nichole.” Tyler walked past me over by Jordan. Jordan nodded, and smiled. Tyler turned around, and said. “Bro, quit being a baby, and come on.“ Edge drug his feet, and walked over by Tyler. “You guys ready?” Jordan asked. I Nodded, and took my sword of the holster. Tyler and Edge said “Yep.” At the same time and, ready their weapons. Jordan pulled the wood from the handles, and stepped back. Then, the doors burst open, and the walkers poured in.