Ten

"We're getting a doggie!" Tao cheered as we walked down the street.

"If you don't calm down the people at the pet shop won't let you take a dog. They'll think you're psychotic."

"They let excited children get dogs."

"You're an adult."

"Let me be childish now, I can be an adult for you another time," he opened the door, nearly hitting me in the face, "Sorry, sorry," he held the door with an apologetic look on his face.

"What can I interest you in?" An energetic man said as soon as we entered the door, "Wait, you look familiar."

Tao shrugged, looking kind of annoyed by already being recognized, "We want a dog."

"What breed of dog?"

He looked at me for an answer like a child in the doctors office with their mom.

"Let me make it easier for you. Would you like a small dog or a large dog?"

"I want a small dog, but it's up to you, Tao."

"That's who you are!" The man exclaimed.

He ignored his excitement, "We want a small doggie"

"Ah, okay, I will show you," he showed us all the small dogs they had, Chihuahuas, Yorkies, Teacup Yorkies, Teacup Poodles, Shitzus, Pomeranians, and more, "I will let you two look, just holler is you see one you like."

"There's so many!" Tao laughed happily.

One of the teacup poodles barked at me through the glass and wagged it's tiny tail.

"It likes you, Mei. Do you want to hold it?"

"Oh, okay."

"Sir! Can we please hold this doggie!"

"Tao, stop saying doggie. You're supposed to be a bad boy not a cutie."

"Maybe we switched roles today," He smiled as the man handed him the dog.

"She's so cute," I smiled as I took her out of Tao's hands. She put her tiny paws on my face and licked me, causing me to laugh.

"What do you think?" The energetic man asked. Tao and I looked at each other and nodded.

"I'll fill out paperwork. You can pick out a collar and toys for her. What do you want to name her?" My mind wandered back to my childhood. I had a dog when I was younger.

"Kandy?"

"Okay, cutie," He smiled at me and followed the man back to the front desk.

"What do you think, Kandy?" I showed her different collars as if I was waiting for her approval. My phone started ringing.

"Oh god, Ms. Lee," I mumbled, "Hello?"

"Mei, darling! I heard you took a vacation!"

"Yup, I'm in China, visiting family."

"Oh, no need to lie to me. I do have internet access, you know," she sounded dissatisfied.

"And?"

"Well, I never knew this would come out of confirming that rumor," she laughed, "You are coming back right?"

"Am I really needed?"

"Well, of course! You still have Chanyeol's hair to do!"

"Couldn't you do it?"

"Mei, please come home. At least so we can talk about this in person."

"Okay, I will, soon," I hung up. This was so difficult I really didn't know what to do.

"Pink and black checkered would look good on you, oh, and a matching leash!" I continued talking to the dog.

"Look I got a tag "Huang Kandy" welcome to the family," He hooked it to the collar I chose.

"Tao, can we get bubble tea?"

"Okay!"

"Pose for Instagram!" I ordered with my straw hanging lazily out of my mouth. He held Kandy with two hands and kissed the top of her head, "Wow, so perfect. One for me too?" He nodded and leaned across the table to kiss me.

"Let's go home."

~

Kandy ran around the house excitedly, like she'd never had this much freedom before. Tao gave her some food and water.

"It's a good thing we ate out because there's no groceries," Tao noticed. I yawned, "Are you tired, Mei?"

"Mhmm," I picked up Kandy and made my way to the stairs. Tao picked me up, "Huang Zitao, if you drop us I will be so angry with you."

He set me down on the bed, "Now, why would I drop you?"

"What if there was a spider and you got scared or something," I changed into my pajamas.

"I don't get scared," he sat at the foot of the bed and took off his shirt and pants

"I've seen the haunted house video, you screamed the most."

"So what? What are you afraid of?"

"Loud sounds, death, horses, kangaroos, losing you, getting yelled at, but I guess that goes with loud sounds."

"Horses?" He laid next to me.

"They're big!"

"If you're afraid of big things this isn't going to work out," he smirked.

"Shut up!" I punched him in the arm and Kandy barked at him.

He laughed, then stopped, "I heard your phone conversation earlier. I don't want you to leave me, but I understand if you need to go back."

"I will go back, but I'm not sure when, I'd rather just open my own salon."

"You can! And you can stay here with me!"

"I don't have a business license or anything though, and it'd cost a lot."

"So what? If it's your dream what's stopping you from doing it? You can go back to school for a business license and open a shop of your own," He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my neck.

"Maybe I will," I switched off the light.

"Goodnight, baby girl."