{cabinet meeting}

"The issue we have gathered here to discuss is Secretary Hamilton's plan to assume state debt and establish a national bank." Washington stood in the middle of the room, addressing all the people in the room. Ellis stood off to the side, drifting in and out of attention. She thought it was a great plan, but she couldn't get the thought of Lafayette out of her mind. He was off in France and a letter had not come. A lady could not help to think of what could be happening. It wasn't a pleasant thought. Ellis couldn't also help to think that Thomas Jefferson's best friend and closest confidant looked so much like her own friend, Hercules Mulligan. He had a tailor shop now, the reason her and his letters never met being that of they had both moved their place of dwelling. They were back on a regular correspondence. It almost seemed as if when Hercules was in her life, Lafayette couldn't be.

     Ellis was pulled back into focus when Thomas quoted John Locke, replacing only one item of the trinity. "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," was what Thomas said. What was happiness? Certainly not what she had at the moment. Her courter was missing in action and, her train of thought derailed. Ellis shook her head. Lafayette would never. Right?

     Thomas attacked Hamilton, questioning who the national bank would benefit. Ellis wanted to speak up so badly. Hamilton's idea was actually the smartest thing there could be. This country needed some type of stability and financial stability would be the best. "Not true!" Hamilton's voice breaks out from the chaos Thomas' question had caused. "Oh! If the shoe fits, wear it. If New York is in debt, then why should Virginia - or any of the other states in that case - bear it? We have no debt, we've paid it all off by planting and creating. You just want to move our money around!"

     Everyone reacted with agreement, Hamilton seemed lost if only for a second. He regained himself as Thomas continued his rant. "This financial plan is outrageous! Too many pages and no man would understand this! This is the land of the free, so let us be. You've seen what happened when the British taxed our tea, imagine what'll happen when it's our whiskey."

     Washington thanked Thomas for his side of the argument, followed by a "Secretary Hamilton, your response."

     "Welcome to the present, Jefferson. We're running a real nation." Hamilton started and Ellis snickered. It wasn't a secret that she was there, yet men turned and gave her looks of disbelief as if she shouldn't be there. Hamilton took a swing at Monticello before actually starting. "If we assume the debts, the union gets a new line of credit. A financial diuretic. So if we're aggressive and competitive, the union gets a boost. Would you rather it not get one?" People seemed to agree with Hamilton, rethinking Thomas' argument. "Jefferson, your debts are paid because you don't pay for the labor." Hamilton looks at him in disgust. "Keep ranting, we know who's really doing the planting."

     Thomas looked as if he was going to argue, but Hamilton continued. "Another thing, Mr. Age-Of-Enlightenment, don't lecture me about the war. You didn't fight in it. You think I'm scared? We almost died in the trench while you were off partying with the French! The people that actually fought are in this room, Ellis Jameson being one of them, would stand by me on this." Ellis flushed a red as people glanced back at her. Why did Hamilton have to bring her up?

     "You and Madison, both useless as two shits," he continued. Ellis groaned, having a bad feeling about his ending. "Hey, turn around, bend over and I'll show you where my shoe fits."

     Ellis was right, the ending wouldn't be good. For Alexander, anyways.

{edited}