Bonus Christmas Chapter

- Ten years later -

Elliott was the first awake in the quiet house, but that didn't bother her. She crept down the staircase, quiet as a mouse, and into the kitchen. She brewed herself a cup of coffee, then looked out the window at the winter wonderland that was her backyard.

It was positively freezing outside, and so Elliott lit the fireplace and sat beside it, sipping her coffee and looked out the window into her perfect dreamland. And that was what it was to her: a perfect dreamland. She and Brent had saved up their money to purchase the land and the small house on it, way back in the woods and away from everything. It had been a hard buy, but one that was worth it for the small, budding family.

When Brent padded down the stairs, she was nearly done her coffee, but not quite ready to brew herself another cup. When her husband walked into the kitchen, shirtless and sleepy, she couldn't stop the warmth from spreading in her chest. Ten years later, and she was even more in love with him than when they were in high school. Thinking back to the day when she was officially adopted, she thought she was in love with him. But now, ten years later and a ring on her finger, she realized what she felt in high school was puppy love.

He didn't immediately brew a cup of coffee. Instead, he sat down and gathered her in his arms, tucking her head under his chin. He squeezed her tight, then pressed kisses to the crown of her head. "Merry Christmas, my pretty boy."

She let out a loud giggle, burying her face in his neck, cheeks blazing. "I kind of miss when you thought I was a boy and you still loved me."

Brent tightened his arms around her. "I really thought I was gay. And you know what? I immediately accepted it because that was how much I cared about you. Who would've thought that I'd get married to a woman instead?"

Elliott leaned back and swatted his chest playfully, grinning. "I hate you."

Brent leaned down for a kiss, then moved his lips to her neck. "You do not."

Elliott ran her fingers under the waistband of his boxers teasingly. "You could make me love you again by making me some more coffee."

Brent swung her up into his arms, and Elliott squealed as he carried her to the coffee machine. "Shh my love, or you'll wake Becca."

Elliott slid out of his arms, pecking him quickly on the lips before she moved to sit on the counter top, watching as her husband brewed her a cup of coffee. His dark hair was a lovely case of bedhead, but she loved the look on him. Twenty eight and he looked even more attractive than he did during their senior year of high school, when they met. If she concentrated hard enough, she could picture him in his soccer uniform, smiling at her after they'd become friends.

When he slid her the mug, he put his hands on either side of her hips and leaned forward, his mouth dangerously close to hers. "If you take a picture, it'll last longer."

She hooked her legs around his waist and dragged him closer to her, pressing a kiss below his ear. "Good thing I'm married to you, so I can look at you whenever."

Brent closed his hands on her hips, dragging her off of the counter. She tightened her legs around his waist as he carried her and her coffee to the living room, where their christmas tree was decorated and lit up with lights. Presents were crammed beneath the tree, but most were not for the two of them.

When Brent set her down on the couch, he pulled out her stocking, handing it to her. Her cheeks were rosy and her smile was infectious. He leaned down and kissed her, wondering how he ever thought she was nothing more than a pretty boy. To this day, it haunted him to know how he treated her before he knew who she really was.