A Rainy Summer 37

~ Chapter (37):

Love your family like you love your guitar.

When asked in a magazine interview about the principals of a happy and successful life, Dave Grohl listed one of the best answers a musician can ever provide, he said: "Love your family like you love your guitar"

That was one of the mottos of my life, one I strived to achieve. People with the classic type of families are often too bored with their families, they're either complaining about their mother's endless questions, their father's protectiveness, or their brother's annoying habit of eating half of the food on the table.

For many, the whole activity seems pretty normal, waking up in the morning to the sound your mother's voice, the delightful sound of her laugh, the sweet delicious smell of breakfast. Having a normal family is a blessing that many seem to overlook, and as they say you never know what you've got until you lose it.

Only a musician would know the difficulty of following Grohl's little piece of advice. A musician's instrument, is his first and last love, his best friend, his loyal family, and most impotently, his true escape.

I had been trying to fix our dysfunctional family for so long, I wanted a classic family with a stable lifestyle, I wanted my mom to look after me when I was sick, instead of sending a nurse. I wanted them to stay home for more than a week, but they never did.

I tried to love them like my guitar, I really did, but they didn't love me like their big fancy company.

Having dinner at Liam's house brought all those feelings back, they were such a beautiful family, a family bound by love and loyalty, not by blood and name. It had been months since I had a home cooked meal like that one. Sure, Jordan cooked whenever he could, but it was nothing like the meal Mason had prepared. The table looked like a gorgeous painting, and the food was incredibly delicious. I should have been embarrassed with myself, eating like a hungry football player, digging into all varieties of cuisines. Even Skye had noticed, he laughed at me, and then he invented a fun game of piling up my plate with food. I didn't care though, I was starving, and I couldn't recall the last time I was allowed to have those types of food. Tacos. Munching on a taco was like a dance in heaven. I was so grateful for Mason, for all of them for that matter.

I was still the liar. I was the devil, and they were the angels.

"You know, I'm really glad that you're here, Selena," Jade turned to flash me one of the friendliest smiles I've ever seen, before she turned back to the sink and resumed scrubbing and washing the dirty plates.

After dinner, the guys grabbed a few drinks, then headed to the living room, and picked out a kid-friendly movie for us to watch. We agreed on splitting the cleaning tasks. She washed the dishes while I dried them, and with Jade's endless funny stories, there was no room for boredom.

"I'm glad I came," Smiling back, I pushed the towel over the wet plate. "I just wish I knew I was coming, I wouldn't have worn these damn shorts," I added, with a chuckle. I didn't even want to imagine how horrible I might have looked, standing next to a very elegant Jade. Following her role model's advice, she managed to pull off a chic look, while wearing a pair of jeans. Coco Chanel would have been proud.

Jade laughed and shook her head. "That's my brother, master of surprises."

"Master of great foods as well," I grinned, drying off yet another plate, before placing it inside the kitchen cupboard.

"True. Very true," she nodded her head in approval, and quickly turned off the tap water, wiping her hands on the back of her jeans. "I meant what I said, Selena," she said, a serious expression replaced her joking one. "That dinner was one of the best gathering we had in a long time, in fact this is the first time Liam brings a girl home in years," a smile tugged at the corner of her lips.