Chapter 9

Castiel

Dean stood silent with an emotionless expression. Castiel was starting to regret his decision of showing Dean. He wanted so bad to read his mind, he knew that would be ruining their trust. So, he waited.... And waited.... And waited. Dean said nothing he had no trace of any emotion written on his face.

After what had to have been 10 minutes, Dean finally spoke up. "What are you, Cas?" He asked quietly.

After a short pause, Cas spoke up. "I'm an Angel."

"You sure are..." he could have sworn he heard Dean say. Cas knew that had to be his imagination. Dean stepped forward, reaching out to touch his wing. Cas quickly stepped away and folded his wings behind his back.

"Um... my wings are very sensitive.... If you touch them in the right way.... Um... I'll just leave it at that...." Cas blushed darkly, looking down at the floor. Dean gave him a puzzled look before realizing what he meant and made an O shape with his mouth.

"Okay... Well...." He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck. "Have you always been an..." he sighed "An Angel?"

"Yes." He looked to the floor. Dean nodded, almost not believing that Cas had been able to keep this from him. "I'm guessing you want the whole story?" He said barely above a whisper.

"Of course I want the whole story. But what I really want to know is how you've been able to keep this from me for what? 6 years?" Dean was angry now. Angry that he couldn't see it. He thought he knew everything about his best friend, but... he was missing a pretty key factor of his life.

"Like I said before, Dean. It didn't become a problem until recently."

"How was this" Dean motioned to Cas' massive, coal black wings. "Not a problem?!" He raised his voice slightly.

"They have been invisible my whole life. Even when I was working in Heaven, they were invisible. I don't know what changed, what had happened, but... the point is, they're visible now, and a problem. I was really hoping you would understand, Dean. Gabriel thought you would. Even Lucifer thought you would." Castiel sighed and picked up his black button up off the table. "I shouldn't have told you. I spent days wondering what you would think." Castiel threw on his dress shirt and started to button it up quickly, avoiding eye contact with his friend. Tears were stinging in the back of his eyes. He refused to let them spill.

"Cas." Dean grabbed Cas' hands that were shaking. Taking them away from his shirt, forcing him to look at him. "I'm not angry. Sure I don't understand. How would I? I want to know your story though, Cas. I will try to understand to the best of my ability." The hunter smiled reassuringly. "If it's okay..." He paused, shaking his head. "Never mind." Castiel tilted his head, curiously.

"What, Dean?" He tightened his grip on Deans hands, urging him on.

"Um..." Dean scratched the back of his neck. "I want to see your wings." Dean blushed, taking his hands back and looking away from Cas. A small smile and blush rested on Cas' face.

"I'll get a shirt with holes in the back..." Cas turned to leave up the stairs, leaving Dean standing awkwardly in the kitchen.

***

Only moments later, Castiel stumbles down the stairs in a white button up, his wings slightly folded behind him. Dean was waiting on the couch, patiently. Castiel approached cautiously. He folded his wings even more behind his back, as he sat down on the opposite side of the couch as Dean. The hunter moved so he was facing Cas. The silence was thick. You could probably cut it with a knife. Castiel didn't know what to say now. Neither did Dean. Cas' wings twitched behind him. He didn't know what that was about do so he ruled it was probably just the awkwardness.