Chapter Three: You May Say I'm A Dreamer.

EDITED.

Title of chapter from John Lennon's Imagine 

Picture: Louis

-Felicity .x 

~*~

Chapter Three: You May Say I'm a Dreamer.  

EMILY: 

I was on my way back home from a writing session at the studio when I found him. He looked incredibly lost. 

Louis wandered about the pavements, lit up only by the glow of the streetlamps. He had his hood up and appeared to be searching for something. He was walking with a purpose, shall we say.I should probably go and aid him. No, that's really not a good idea. I can think of at least eight cons that accompany —

"Louis," I called, against my better judgement, waving my arm. 

He turned and smiled in relief, "Emily." 

I caught up to him within a couple of strides. His hands were shoved deep in his pockets, "Are you lost?"

"No! Nope, I...yeah, kind of." he shuffled on the concrete awkwardly, looking down at his shoes. "I went for a walk and I can't find the hotel again. I would key it into my phone, but it's out of battery." 

"Well, er, do you want me to...show you the way?" I offered, leaving room for him to decline. Who would want to go for a leisurely walk with their ex-girlfriend? Not my idea of fun. 

"If you wouldn't mind," he replied politely, "otherwise I would wander in circles all night."

"Right this way, then." We fell into step together without a word. The tension in air was tangible. Eventually, he coughed and startled me.

"How have you...been, Emily?" 

"You asked me that before." That came out much ruder than I intended it to. I opened my mouth to apologise but he was already speaking. 

"Yes, but this time I really mean it," was his response. I blinked, feeling rather self conscious.

"I've been all right. Just released an album." He knew this already, but I didn't know what else to say.

"Yeah, so I've heard." He cleared his throat and rephrased his wording, "I mean, I've heard the album. It's very good." 

"Thank you," I said quietly, "I've heard Midnight Memories. It's brilliant."

To reach Jury's Hotel (which was the most luxurious four-star in the area) we had to pass my studio. I was getting further and further away from my apartment. I noticed Louis marvelling at the tall glass, the surrounding fauna, the general prettiness of the studio. It was a classy building. 

"Woah, is that Island Records?" He gaped up at it with admiring eyes and wonder. SYCO hasn't a patch on this.  SYCO is a cottage compared to Island Records.

"Well one of the headquarters, yes." I looked at him for a few seconds before asking him, "Louis, would you like to go inside?"

He stared at me, his eyes hopeful. "Can we?"

~*~

Two years ago

My phone rang. I jumped for it.