Chapter 5:

I had the plans of finding Seth and asking him about these things, but I was too busy.

I was busy with Max.

He seemed a little more lost after the fire, though he wasn’t the one who had been in it.

I felt better than ever, but he seemed to be handling it very badly.

When he was finally back to…normal, I eventually got back on track.    

I kept glancing at the clock, hoping it would just fast forward so I could get out of here. Just as I had wiped down the last few dishes out back, Jimmy barged through the door.

He looked pissed. His eyes were enraged as he glared at me.

“You!” he said pointing his finger at me, “You! It’s your fault! My son is at the police station because of you!” he screamed.

“What are you—?”

“Don’t act innocent! You ratted him out to the cops about the fire, and now he’s in court!” he continued.

It hit me then what he was talking about. Tim.

“Tim is your son?” I asked in disbelief, “No wonder there was something familiar about him,” I muttered under my breath.

“Oh, don’t flatter yourself,” Jimmy hissed.

“Look I don’t know why you’re screaming at me for; I wasn’t the one who had caused the fire by throwing a lighter around near the back of the library” I replied.

“You’re just trying to fool around with me, aren’t you?” he said now getting hysterical.

“I didn’t know he was your son!” I replied.

“Sure you did,” Jimmy spat as he stomped out of the kitchen, kicking the door out of his way.

I didn’t think much about it. His son almost killed me…and had burned my photograph. I couldn’t care less whether he went to jail.

Though I had a feeling Jimmy wouldn’t forget about it either.

The stars shone bright in the sky as I locked the door of the diner for the end of the day.

It was about eight o’clock at night, and the night was coming to life.

I didn’t want to go home, knowing that all that awaited me was a silent house. It wouldn’t be much different if I stood in the middle of the town alone. The result would be the same.

So what could I do?

I straddled to my car and got into the cab. I sat and thought about something to do.

The town was quiet; the only sounds were of the night life.

Even though there were few people around, I felt like I was being watched. I looked out the window, squinting in the darkness beyond the trees.

I thought I saw something move, but then again, it had been a long day.

I sighed, not thinking of anything else to do and started the car.

As I drove down the road back home, I tried to come up with possible scenarios of how to stall time.

I didn’t feel like going home and facing the stillness and silence. I eased up on the pedal, not wanting to speed my way there.

The night was black, the trees looking eerie on both sides of the road. I still had the strange feeling of being watched. I kept peering curiously out the window, but getting reassured that all there was were trees; trees that looked spooky and claw-like.