"Are you sure you'll be alright?"

I turn to look at him, furrowing my eyebrows in sorrow and anger. "Yes, Gray. I appreciate you being here but I really need to be alone right now."

He nods. "I understand."

He walks up to me, placing a hand on my shoulder and starts massaging it. I close my eyes, trying to release the tension in there, trying to relax.

But I can't.

"Thank you, Gray," I whisper.

"Sleep well, okay?"

"I'll try."

"If there's anything, just call me."

I nod. "Okay," I mutter.

He sighs, rubbing my back comfortingly before pulling away. "Love you, Willow."

I give him a sad smile in reply.

I watch as he walks out the door, closing it silently behind him, and I'm left all alone in an empty apartment once again.

Just me and the ghost of my memories.

*

"Trick or treat, Willow!" my older sister, Jess, exclaimed, jumping out at me from behind the curtains in the living room as I walked past, startling me and making me jump.

"Hey! Don't do that," I replied, frowning.

"Oh, don't be such a big baby, Wil. Grow up."

"Don't be so mean, Jess."

She chuckled. "I'm just teasing you and you know that, Wil," she answered affectionately.

"Yeah, I do. But that doesn't mean I like it," I answered, crossing my arms, trying to seem firm, my eyebrows furrowing in annoyance.

She let out a light hearted laugh and extended a hand. "Shall we go and get changed? Everyone else is going to go trick-or-treating without us if we don't hurry."

I nodded enthusiastically. "Yes! I get to be a pink fairy this year."

"And I get to be a witch."

"It's going to be so much fun!"

Jess looked at me and her face broke into a smile. "Anything can be. As long as we're together."

"Of course we will be. We're sisters."

She nodded. "And sisters will be there for each other forever."

*

"I miss you, Jess," I mutter, a tear falling down my face. "I miss all of you."

When did my life become such a mess? Why am I caught up in all this turmoil and loss and grief? Why am I the unlucky one?

Why me?

But I suppose any sane person would ask that question when something bad happens to them, right?

Why me?

I get that life is not a bed of roses and that we're all bound to hit potholes at some point but why does it had to be now? Why couldn't I have grown up like any other kid my age and not have to go through all this?

It created a void in my heart, an emptiness that can no longer be filled. Family is the most important, and now that they're gone, I feel numb. Like things aren't quite the way they're supposed to be.

Like I'm missing a vital part of my soul.

Gray really helped me get out of my rut. I was in such a bad place after the accident and my mind was going to very, very dark places and if it weren't for him, I doubt I'd be here today.