Chapter 12

After a several hours of driving, I notice Camila start to yawn. She covers her mouth while keeping her eyes fixed on the road, crinkling her nose as she does so. I tap my fingers against the window, staring out into the world.

The world that's against us.

I lean my head back against the headboard, sighing softly. Camila turns into a different lane, stopping at a red light. I glance over at Camila just in time to see her yawn again. I furrow my eyebrows at her, confused about why she is so tired. But ignore it, slumping back onto my seat.

I look up at the ceiling of the car, inhaling quietly. I rap my fingers against the cold window, trying to distract myself from the mysterious brunette beside me. I can never be sure about her. I don't why she hasn't contacted the police about Shawn and Austin, but I guess that's her choice.

I peer over to Camila again. She is in the middle of yawning once again, and this time I can't ignore it.

"Why are you so tired?" I ask, placing my hand on Camila's knee.

The brunette casts me a weary gaze, smiling weakly. "I'm not."

I almost laugh at her words. "Are you out of your head?" I chuckle, rubbing Camila's thigh with my thumb slowly. "I can tell that you're tired."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Camila smiles, turning back towards the road. "Am I out of my mind? Probably."

"Come on, that's not what I meant." I take my hand off Camila's leg and turn down the radio, so I can hear her better. "Why are you so tired, baby?"

"It's just that.." Camila takes a deep breath, her upper lip twitching slightly. "Last night, while we were sleeping. I wasn't. I was wide awake, listening to your breathing." I can see her cheeks flush a pink hue briefly. "Sometimes, you'd stop breathing and I'd have a mini heart attack. I couldn't fall asleep with your unsteady breathing."

"I'm sorry, babe." I frown, rubbing her thigh again. "I could let you fall asleep before me if that would work."

"Nah, it's okay. I'll be fine." Camila brushes it off, stopping again at a light. She glances at me quickly but turns back towards the road. "But I have one question."

"What is it?" I ask, tilting my head, staring at the profile of the brunette.

"How did you know the password for the hotel?" Camila questions, her voice holding a slight edge.

The car suddenly becomes very hot. I scoff nervously, taking my hand off Camila's leg. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

The thing is, I know exactly what she is mentioning. The night while she was sleeping, I texted Austin to get the password 'purple gates'. I thought that I covered up my tracks well.

I guess I'm wrong.

"Are you sure?" Camila turns her head from the road, furrowing her eyebrows at me. "Because I got a text from Austin once we checked into our hotel room yesterday."

"Really?" I ask, my voice cracking due to stress. I try to quickly become interested in my fingernails, but that's difficult when Camila's momentarily harsh eyes are burning holes into my soul.

Camila looks back at the road, turning her wheel then facing me again. "Yes, really." She drops her hand off the wheel, leaving one on, shaking her head at me. "The text said, and I quote, 'I can't believe you turned out the way you did. A grammar queen just like your dead girlfriend'."

"Wha—" I exhale, staring at Camila with wide eyes.

"He tried to play you off as dead." Camila laughs, although there is no humor in her eyes. "My first thought was that I'm glad I know you aren't dead. But, then, I started to think: hey, I don't remember having a conversation about grammar or you. So I scrolled through my text history."