33: Joined Forces

Superman came to a steady hover, his toes landing on the building roof gently before the heel of his foot, his whole foot planting firmly as he gently brought down his other foot until he was standing in front of Batman. His cape gently flopped down against his back. He folded his arms.

"Can you please tell me why you asked me to meet you here?" Batman spoke with a hint of attitude, folding his arms. Today was an awfully long day for him.

"I've been asked to help with something that's in your jurisdiction, so you can either help me or stay out of my way. Pick one," Superman spoke firmly.

Oh, god, Batman thought, holding back a roll of the eyes.

"What is it this time?"

Superman pursed his lips. "I'm looking for a Lucy Wenelli. She left Metropolis to go to Gotham City. She ran into some trouble with a naughty ex of hers who stole a car, crashed it, then put her at the driver's seat. She served a year in prison. This was a year and a half ago, she's been out of prison for the last six months. She's been off the radar. She has a friend out in Metropolis, who visited her in Gotham but she claims to know nothing about her whereabouts, and she can't get a hold of Lucy anymore."

Batman thought about the situation for a moment before shaking his head. "I know of that case," he spoke, grimly remembering arriving a bit too late and seeing the damage to the expensive, stolen sports car, talking to Gordon who claimed it wasn't her who did it, but she took the fall, and everyone else pinned it on the poor, innocent girl.

"You know I can't let you rummage around my city alone," Batman spoke. "I'll help you find her. I'm a good detective, as you know."

Superman nodded before pushing his right foot into the ground, taking flight. "I'm going to go back to Metropolis, and let Mr. Wenelli know. Meet me back here once you know more about Lucy and her whereabouts."

"Yeah, okay," Batman spoke, turning away from Superman to jump off a building, his cape steadily flattening out in the air as he glided through buildings until he was completely out of Superman's sight. He was always adamant of leaving conversations first.

Superman turned his back from the direction Batman left, and flew back home. This case was hopefully going to be an easy one.

--

Charlotte fiddled with the cuffs on her red, long-sleeved button up. She bit her lip, bouncing her leg under the dining table of the Wenelli's house. Winston asked, or more like demanded, she come over for dinner.

She turned to watch Anette Wenelli come into the room, paling at the sight of her, flashing a timid smile just to make peace with the cold woman. Anette's eyes caught the smiling girl's before she sat down, not desiring to smile back. She kept her tight-lipped, hardened gaze as she looked at her husband.

If there was anything more intimidating than Mr. Wenelli, it was Mrs. Wenelli. She held her blonde, greying hair in a tight, tight bun, and always had the same red lipstick on, no matter what the occasion.

She was expecting answers, and her husband was too slow to retrieve information.

"Darling, Superman is taking it into his hands now."

"And that's all you have?" she snapped before turning to look at Charlotte. "Sit up straight, stop fiddling with your clothing."

Charlotte immediately obeyed, gulping. How did Lucy live with these people for as long as she did?

The sound of footsteps on the balcony caused everyone to look in that direction, finding a shadow approaching before the glass doors were pushed open, the curtains shrinking inward to reveal the person. Superman.

Charlotte kept her mouth shut. She wanted to scream in surprise. There he was, in the flesh, not four feet in front of her.

"I met with Batman," Superman spoke, causing Charlotte to tense up. Oh, no. "Who agreed to help with the situation. I came here to inform you of this new information. He's going to do detective work and find her because he knows the city more than I do. We're meeting up tonight in Gotham City. Expect information for your daughter tonight. How is the police station doing with the case?" he asked.

Winston inwardly groaned. "They've agreed that the ruling was wrong, I'm pushing against the case as hard as possible but we need more evidence."

"The patients," Charlotte blurted out, causing a tight-lipped glare from Anette. "Lucy's old patients from the hospital. They'll tell you how great and loving she was. You don't necessarily need her to get that information."

"Well we need to find her anyways," Superman spoke. "If she's been under the radar, we need to know her condition."

"Yes," Anette agreed. "Thank you for your help, Superman." She waved a hand dismissively at him, he turned and left the way he came.

Charlotte was shaking in her seat now, she had to tell Lucy. She had to. "I—I have to go, I forgot to feed my dog."

"Negligent, careless," Anette snidely commented under her breath as she stood up before exiting the room. Winston gave her a curt nod before she shot out of her chair, and bolted out of the house and into her car. She drove a street down before taking her phone out. She tried to call Lucy, but the call wouldn't go through. She cursed, remembering she blocked her. She scrambled to find another way. Maybe she could contact Joker?

She scoffed. That was easier said than done.

She checked the clock. If she left now, she'd have to go through traffic, but she'd make it in three hours, tops. She plugged the address in on her GPS.

Wait! She cursed under her breath. That wasn't her real house.

Charlotte's anxiety started to kick in. She remembered Lucy talking about a carnival in Old Gotham, and began doing research.

She found an address and plugged it inter her GPS, slamming on the gas. She had to make it in time.