Allison

Hey guys, sorry for the long long wait. I hit writer's block for a while, and then I didn't ever have any time to write because of finals ruining my life :P :D. I also apologize for the inconsistencies with British terms. I'm trying to make it as British as possible (which is hard, being from the States) but just yesterday I learned that the British term for "groomsman" is "usher." I went back and changed everything, and fixed the inconsistency.

If you are British, and see something I have messed up, please message me so I can fix it.

Thank you SherlockKingkiller for helping me write from Mycroft's POV

Cheers!

-Lai

"Mycroft," I snarled, glaring furiously at him. "You heartless bastard. I can't believe you."

He raised an eyebrow coolly, unshaken. "Really? Honestly, you make such a fuss about it. It was nothing."

"'Nothing' had my fiancé in silent misery on the sofa for two hours! Then he played sad music on the violin, and stared out the window for another three! He didn't say anything! I used atrocious grammar on purpose, but he didn't correct me! That's how bad it was! You know, you claim to always be there for him, but you are a rubbish big brother if that's your idea of funny."

His face soured slightly. "Nobody with any logic in their head would have taken it seriously. Is it my fault that he is so irrational? It's his own fault for caring so much, you know. Caring is not an advantage. I believe he himself has provided ample evidence towards that. I mean, this whole party situation would never have come up if he didn't- well, that's hardly relevant, is it?"

My eyes narrowed. I knew he had been about to say something about me. "Mycroft, leave romantic matters out of this. And besides, caring may not be an advantage, but it's hardly voluntary. People have a way of coming into your life. The more you shut them out, the harder they break in. I learned that the hard way. For God's sake, Sherlock lived with John for two years! You can't live with someone for that long without becoming attached."

He raised his eyebrow again. His demeanor was downright frosty now. "I've always said becoming involved is a mistake. Although he always has been the stupid one, eager to make attachments, and then mopes like a child when it backfires on him and he writes sad music for hours. Tell me, how do you tolerate his childish tantrums? Although I suppose someone has to. Don't worry, this marriage won't last long. Either he'll panic and run away from you, or you'll grow tired of his temperamental moods and you'll leave him. I advise the latter."

My jaw clenched in fury. "Oh, so now your genius brother is stupid because he's not so cold and self-absorbed that he refuses to tolerate other human beings? Really, Mycroft, I can't say I see him as the stupid one here."

His eyes narrowed. "Well, I don't expect you to. You just keep him as a charity case, don't you? The lonely man who you're trying to save from his drug problems and make his life happy and perfect with your love and affection? It won't work. I hate to break it to you, but we don't live in fairytales."

"Life," I hissed through clenched teeth. "With me, is anything but perfect." He made me so angry, with his quick comebacks and cold remarks. I wasn't taking any crap today. You can insult me all you want, but you can never insult the man I love.

"I feel that this point is exhausted, and that you have no further need for my- OOMPH!" he doubled over a bit as I swung his umbrella up between his legs, hitting him where it counted.

I dropped it, and glowered at him. "Get. Out. Of. My. House."

"You hit him in the bollocks with an umbrella?!" exclaimed John.

I shrugged. "That arrogant prat needed to be put in his place."

"So you hit him."

"It's one of the most humiliating things, being hit in the nuts by a woman."

"True..." He shrugged, picking up his teacup. "So why am I here?"

"To cheer Sherlock."

"Why does he need cheering?"

"You've seen him today, right?"

"Yeah, he's acting the way he did when he identified the body of Irene."

"Irene?"

"Has he not told you about Irene?"

I bristled, suddenly very jealous and a bit angry that Sherlock would keep a secret from me. "No, he has not. Who is she?"

"Irene Adler was-"

I cut him off. "Oh, I've heard about Irene Adler. She called herself the Woman, right?"

"Yes. Anyway, she was the only woman that ever got the better of Sherlock. He has been bested by three men and one woman."

I furrowed my brow. "Oh."

"And it was fair to say that he was, probably, in love with her."

"Oh."

He gave me a curt nod. "You want me to cheer him, I think I can do that. I also would like to tell you the Mycroft has agreed to be in the wedding."

I sat back, a bit shocked. "After what he did to Sherlock?"

"Well, you see, Mycroft agreed to be one of the ushers under the condition that he get to plan the bachelor party. Which is weird."

"I have an idea as to why he did that."

"I'd like to know."

"He wanted to show Sherlock what happened when you got involved, as he calls it. He's about to get very much involved, what, with marrying me. Mycroft was trying to warn him."

"That's sick and twisted."

"I agree."