23 ♫ A Trail of Broken Hearts

"I'm smart enough to know that life goes by
And it leaves a trail of broken hearts behind
If you feel I'm letting go, just give me time
I'll come running to your side."
-Human by Jon McLaughlin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

| LANCE |

After hearing Mackenzie say those words, it seemed that the whole world stopped functioning.

Not wanting to believe what she'd told me, I asked calmly, "What was that again, Mackenzie?"

She turned her head to look at me, and I saw fear in her eyes for a second. "You heard me loud and clear, Lance. I'm not gonna say it again."

Taking a deep breath then exhaling, I asked in disbelief, "Is there a problem with my teaching method? Do you find it strenuous to follow? I could--"

"No, there's nothing wrong with the way you teach me," she said, standing up to face me.

"Then why?" I firmly prompted. "Please explain to me the reason why you want to quit, Mackenzie, and it must be a valid reason."

"Just because."

I blinked at her, and that's when I noticed my hands had curled into fists. "Mackenzie," I said, warning her.

"Lancelot."

And then I lost it.

"Do not play dumb with me, Mackenzie!" I bellowed, banging my hand on the piano keys again, causing her to recoil from me. Good thing we were in a soundproofed room. "What is your reason why you are backing out as my pianist?"

"I'm scared, okay?" Mackenzie shouted, furiously gesturing with her hands. "I can't do this!"

"But we still have a few weeks to--" Then I suddenly stopped myself when I just became aware of something. "Wait a minute," I said slowly. "You seemed distracted by something, but your mood drastically changed after I told you my announcement--that the 40th Annual Denver Music Competition's venue has been changed."

"That's not it. It's just that I'm also not feeling well," Mackenzie said, but her gaze was on the floor, looking at it like it was made of gold. I even detected a hint of anxiousness in her voice.

"I can tell you are lying, Mackenzie. Even when I was talking to you that time, I still noticed your reaction." I took a step toward her, and she backed away until I trapped her against the wall.

"What're you doing, Lance?" she asked, apprehensive.

"What're you keeping from me, Mackenzie?" I asked back, determined to know the real answer from her.

She looked up at me, her lips pursed. "I'm telling you the truth."

"No, you are clearly hiding something from me. It seems your acting skills are somewhat getting rusty, hmm?"