Chapter 10

"I hate hotel televisions." I grumble, pressing the same button over and over again on the remote. Camila glances over at the remote in my hand, laughing softly at me. I flash her playful glare and she grabs my thumb.

"Baby," Camila says softly, moving my thumb to a different button. "This is the on button. You were pressing the volume button."

"It's not my fault they both have plus signs on them." I press the correct button and the t.v flickers on.

"BUY THE FULL VERSION FOR ONLY TWENTY DOLLARS!" The t.v screeches at us at top volume, and Camila immediately covers her ears and buries her face into my shoulder. "THAT'S RIGHT! TWENTY DOLLARS O—!"

I quickly switch off the t.v, tossing the remote down on the bed. I can feel Camila trembling, I wrap my arms around her waist and kiss her forehead many times. I rest my chin on her head, breathing in her scent of oranges.

"You okay, Camz?" I ask her quietly, not waiting to raise my voice in case I scare her again.

"Yeah," Camila replies, her voice shaky. "It just startled me." She lifts her head from my shoulder and gives me a weak smile. I plant one last kiss on her forehead, sighing as I pull away.

Camila shifts her body slightly, melting into my side. I wrap my arm around the small of her back, allowing myself to relax. Camila pulls the blanket over us, laying her head on my shoulder. We lean against the backboard of the hotel bed.

I gently rub my hand against Camila's stomach, all the way up to her ribcage then down to her waist. As I'm moving my hand up to her ribcage again, she yelps and pulls back from me. I freeze, turning to look at the brunette.

"What's wrong?" I ask, nuzzling her cheek with my nose when she doesn't answer. "Come on, Camz, what's up?"

"Nothing," Camila sighs, her body shuddering slightly. "I'm just tired."

"You yelped like an injured dog. What hurts?" I question, becoming panicked at the thought of Camila in any sort of pain.

"It's nothing." Camila assures me, trying to relax against my body again.

"Let me see your stomach." I say, nudging Camila gently.

"It's fine, Lo." Camila protests, scooting away from me. "I'm fine."

"I said let me see your stomach, Camila." I repeat my words, much more harshly this time.

"No, Lo, it's okay, I don—"

"Camila." I snap, making the smaller girl flinch then sigh in defeat. "Let me see."

"Fine." Camila sighs and crinkles her nose at me, rolling onto her back on the bed.

I crawl over to her, propping myself up on my knees above her body. I lean down and pull up her shirt just to below her breasts. I scan her skin in its utter beauty with my eyes. I see a faint blueish purple spot on her ribcage— a bruise. I rub my thumb over it, causing Camila to shift uncomfortably under my touch. I can feel her ribs as I run my thumb over her and my heart jumps in horror at a memory.

"You got this from me, didn't you?" I ask softly, my breath shaking at the thought and possible reality.

"Stop it, Lo, of course not." Camila says quickly, her words pouring out like water.

"Don't lie." I stare at the bruise a while longer before lifting my gaze to meet Camila's. "This is from when I elbowed you at the park, isn't it?"

Camila shakes her head rapidly, trying to soothe me. "No, Lo, I—"

"I hurt you." I whisper, my words barely audible from how much I'm shaking. I can feel my hands shaking as I gently continue to stroke her skin. I immediately rip my fingers from her, not wanting to cause her more pain.