Chapter 36

I woke up to the sound of the telephone ring. I got out of bed too fast,'which made my head hurt. I walked over to the phone with my hand on my head.

"Hello?"

"Jess-where is Jess?"

"W-who is this?"

"Luc, don't be silly. It's Sodapop. I've been trying to call Jess for the past 10 hours and she hasn't answered the phone. Where is she?"

I can't believe I forgot to tell him. I forgot to tell him that she had run away.

"Uh, Sod, listen. Jess ran away. I forgot to tell you. She just left a note on our coffee table yesterday and told us that she needed to sort things out, but she will be back."

"What?! She left me! I can't believe it. Without any inkling. She leaves out of nowhere. Just like Sandy. I can't believe it-"

"Sod, there was more to it. She was beaten- well, we were both beaten by one of her old customers the night before she left. I think she wanted to get outta here for a while. She's coming back, Soda. I don't know when, but I know she will."

I heard a sigh over the telephone. I knew these were hard words for Soda to hear, but it had to happen.

"And, Soda? She also wrote in here to tell me that she loves you. She said she loves you, and she still will when she returns. Soda, I know her, and she keeps her word. Trust me on this one, she will be back."

There was a long, anxious pause.

"Okay. Thanks, Luc."

"Bye, Soda."

And I hung up the phone. I felt bad for Soda. He had so much disappointment in his life that I was beginning to wonder if he knew what it felt like to be happy.

I walked over to Rosie's cradle to find her staring up at the ceiling, imagining something. Her eyes glistened as tbe early morning sun rose. I picked her up out of her cradled and nestled her small body in my arms. She was still smaller than most babies, and her doctor told us that she won't be able to walk until she's almost 2, which is real late for most babies. It's all because she's one of a kind, special in her own ways. All of her flaws were everything that me and Pony loved about her.

Although she wasn't out daughter, she sure as hell felt like she is.