11. Interview

On the last day of the week the interviews began. There were at least two-hundred and fifty women in attendance and one metric Alicia learned was that only half of that would be accepted into the school for the first year. "If we had made it to orientation we would have known that," Madeleine said to her in one of their evening chats.

"I'm glad I didn't know it," Alicia retorted. "It would have been another stress I didn't need."

The next morning, Alicia dressed in her best. It was a white blouse and a smart looking skirt with a high bonded waist. The blue and white striped skirt went down to her ankles. Lucy had made this for her and Alicia would never forget it. She had on her best shoes, a pair of clogs with kitten heels. Even Elena managed to pull herself together. She too had on a frilly blouse, bow tie with a broach, and a long skirt. Her hair was still curled and rumpled but she hid it under a wicker woven hat. On her face she applied a light dusting of powder, lipstick and even darkened her eyelids and she looked splendid and beautiful.

When Elena caught her roommate looking she asked, "Do you...?"

"Oh no," Alicia said. "I never saw someone paint their face before. What a change it makes." She wondered if she painted her face it would make a difference in her presentation in front of the interviewers, but no, she decided, it wasn't her. She wore plain dresses. She worked with her hands. She learned by doing. She had decided long ago that, that was who she was. She admired Elena's beauty but she could not emulate it.

One by one the girls were called from the dorms and ushered down the hall. Alicia knew not where they went. Elena departed before her leaving Alicia to sit alone in the small room by herself. She found it difficult to sit and if her hands were fidgety, she'd have to occupy them. She pulled her old sketchbook from her trunk and flipped through the pages naming all of the different birds she had sketched. The lines were getting smudged with time but she knew what they were. Part way through were her notes and drawings for flying contraptions. One was a basket tethered by a large balloon. She had seen it once at a county fair but her mother, afraid and timid then, wouldn't allow her to ride it. Alicia had detailed sketches of bird wings extended.

A knock on the door startled Alicia. She gripped the book tight under her shoulder and opened the door to reveal the proctor from the engineering library who had reprimanded her and Elena for being late.

"Well, come along!" the proctor said. Alicia wished that they were on better terms with one another, but he didn't seem chummy with anyone. For a portly man he walked with a brisk and light gait. They were back on the first floor and walked by the library. There were a set of smaller lecture rooms and a few laboratories beyond it. Alicia tried not to let her eyes wander for fear of more reprimands by the proctor. He shoved open a door and gestured for Alicia to enter. When she did she found herself facing a panel of two people who were busy preparing themselves for the interview.

There was one lone chair in the center and Alicia assumed it was for herself. The proctor announced her and sat himself at the table alongside the other two interviewers. Alicia could feel the butterflies swirling in her. He was going to interview her too? All she could remember was the proctor telling her to leave the school if she didn't want to be here. But I do want to be here! Alicia reaffirmed to herself as she held her book tightly.

The proctor gestured sharply for her to sit.

Next to him was a woman with her hair wrapped behind her in a loose bun. She cleared her throat and in a soft and silky voice she said, "Miss Alicia Reynard, I presume?"

"Yes ma'am."

She gestured to the chair with a more graceful air. Alicia sat herself down.

"Miss Reynard, my name is Lady Stacy Windham." Alicia recognized the Windham name. They were one of the major families amongst the Aeterall nobility. Without thinking, Alicia promptly got to her feet and courtesied."