26: The Four Nurses

"Wow. . . . " She spoke. She was leaning forward in her chair now, hands covering her face as she held her hand out for the glass of wine I had brought her. "So. . . This is how you're making a living."

"Yeah," I spoke with a nod. "And I know him and I didn't get together in the most conventional way, and I know I've killed people, and I've done some nasty things, but. . . This is me."

"Is it?" she asked, concern in her eyes. "You used to be the woman who spent an afternoon making a patient's birthday magical."

I frowned. "Look, Charlotte, you and I both know damn well that with my rap sheet I wouldn't be able to find a legitimate job in the medical field. Shaun messed that up for me. I had no other choice."

She smiled sadly. "I know, darling I know, but. . . It's just so much to take in. I can't believe how much you've changed, but the fact that you made all of this up for me," she spoke, holding her hand up. "The house," she moved her hand to the left in the direction of the garage. "the cars. . .You got The Joker himself to play house." She shook her head. "It just shows me that, despite your changes, you're still concerned about the impression you make on me. So, yeah, I guess you are still Lucy. You're just. . . Different. You've adapted. Because the Lucy I know would do everything she could to cheer someone up." she smiled, and I felt a weight lift off of my shoulders.

"God, it feels good to finally come clean," I groaned. "Are you seriously okay with all of this?"

"Even if I'm not, you entrusted me with your secrets, and I have to hold my duty as your best friend to protect those secrets," she spoke with a smile.

"She is not lying, I can tell a liar when I see one," Joker spoke, clicking his tongue before turning to me with a smirk. "So, Miss Morphine, it's about time we went to work."

"Can I see the outfit? Before I go home and drink 'till I pass out?" she questioned humorously. I laughed.

"Yeah, of course. Hold on," I spoke, rushing to my room and dressing quickly. I walked back out to the living room where Joker was standing with Charlotte, who looked absolutely terrified by him, but totally trusting of my judgement enough to not faint on sight. "Here."

She looked up and saw me, laughing softly. "Man, you pull that off."

I flashed her a wink before I walked towards her and hugged her. "You know what, Charlotte, I'd be dead or homeless if Joker didn't find me. . . And I'm not ashamed of myself. I love my life now," I spoke honestly. "At first, it wasn't my choice. But it is now. And I woudn't trade it for a normal one. I can't wait to leave this weird house and go back to my actual home. I can't wait to treat my patients. I can't wait to plan diabolical evil plans with my man."

She smiled. "I know."

I smiled back, hugging her one last time before Joker picked up his keys and dangled them. "Time to go," he spoke as she smiled, and waved, and walked to her car before I turned to look at Joker.

I put my hands on his shoulders, lifting my head up to place a soft, gentle kiss on his lips. "Thanks for having your goons go hooker-hunting. Thanks for sparing my life and hiring me. Thanks for choosing me and only me. And thanks for waking me up to who I really am."

He grinned. "If you get all emotional like that, I'm going to have to call Nicholas Sparks and tell him he's beat because damn, this girl can write a better love story than him. Hookers and death? Takes the cake."

I held in a snicker before I pulled him to the door that led to the inside of the garage, getting in the passenger seat of the green Ferarri. He pulled out of the garage and sped off.

--

"Okay, now everything looks fine," I spoke to Cake as I examined his hand. "Just be careful not to flap it around for any reason." I started to put on new dressings for his wound.

"Thanks," he spoke. He looked up at my neck, then smirked. "Well, looks like you had some fun."

I grinned back. "Yeah. Yeah, I did."

He nodded slowly, the smirk getting bigger. "So, you two are together?"

"Mmhmm," I smiled.

He continued to nod. "We all saw it coming."

"What?" I questioned. "He's never been a one-girl type of guy."

"Yeah, that's how some guys are until they find the right one, and you, girl," he whistled. "You fit the description."

I smiled and took off my gloves, throwing them away. "Thanks, Cake."

He saluted before he walked out of the room. As soon as he did, four women walked in. I cocked my head to the side curiously, but once I saw that they all wore tight, white button ups and short, tight white skirts with a red plus sign on them, I realized exactly who they were. They were my nurses.

The first girl was very tall, her hair was a light brown color, her eyes a deep brown. She had skin so pale it nearly blinded me. The second girl was olive-skinned, and a couple inches shorter than the first, she had short black hair that ended where her cheekbones started. Her piercing green eyes looked almost cat-like.

The third girl was a foot shorter than the first girl. She was completely bald, and had coffee-colored skin.

The fourth girl looked a bit like Charlotte, but she had dark brown hair and green eyes. She looked to be the bitchiest out of the four, as she was already sneering and she had only just met me.

"There you are," I spoke. I handed each one beepers. "Before you comment, these beepers will help me contact you when I need assistance. You all have medical experience, I hope. Joker wouldn't have hired you if not—"

"Yeah okay thanks for orientation but you aren't our boss," the light-haired brunette spoke. "Joker is, so if you'd excuse me—"

I started to laugh. "That's pretty funny."

"No it's not," the dark-haired brunette spoke. "It's true, so. . . "

I smiled before letting out a soft sigh. "First of all, I can kill you all in less than a second." I picked up my sword from its spot against the wall, pressing the blade gently against the dark-haired brunette's throat. I slowly pulled it away and yawned. "But, if I don't kill you, my boyfriend will. I believe you know him. He's who hired you." I grinned.

The girls exchanged glances.

"You're bluffing about Joker," the dark-haired brunette spoke. "Fuckin' liar."

As if right on que, Joker walked in. The girls immediately moved out of his way.

"Everything going alright in here?" he asked.

"They don't believe that you're my boo," I spoke.

"Huh," he said, turning to look at them. "They're probably shocked you landed my sexy self," he spoke, jokingly whipping a few strands of hair out of his face. "Gives hope to the underdog. You can land that perfect ten if you just believe—"

I slapped his arm playfully as the girls gasped and exchanged horrified glances. I had just hit The Joker and got away with it. I realized how I must've seemed like more of a badass for that small action than me holding my sword to their throats.

"Don't fuck with my girl, she'll kill you before I can," he spoke threateningly. They all profusely nodded. He placed a kiss on my head before he took his knife out and stabbed the model of a spine on my desk. I groaned and rolled my eyes as he flashed a mischievous glance before he walked out of Morphine General.