Six

Camila wasn't sure what time it was when she decided to check on Lauren but it was late.

She knew that much since the moon shone in the sky and her stomach was rumbling from lack of food.

As birthdays go, this had to be the worst.

Camila had looked for an escape, frantically running around the house, twice, looking for a door, an open window, even a way to the attic but she eventually had to give up, collapsing onto the dusty floor in a room that looked like it hadn't been used for years and bursting into frustrated sobs.

"Lauren," She knocked softly on the older girl's door. "I'm sorry."

"No you aren't," Lauren responded, her voice muffled and Camila opened the door, revealing Lauren laid on her double bed in the middle of her room.

"Can I come in?" Camila asked meekly and Lauren shrugged her shoulders.

The Latina stepped forward, stopping at the side of the bed and fiddling with the hem of her shirt.

Well, Lauren's shirt.

"I thought you would've escaped by now," Lauren turned to face her, laying on her side.

"Yeah well, you've locked every exit in your entire house," Camila pointed out and Lauren's frown was replaced by a satisfied smile.

"Poor you," Lauren mumbled, rolling her eyes.

"You could at least try to be nice to me, it's my nineteenth birthday and I'm locked in a house alone with my kidnapper," Camila crossed her arms, holding herself tightly.

She knew all these petty comments would only get her in trouble but she didn't care.

"Well I think I'm pretty nice as kidnappers go," Lauren argued teasingly, frustrating Camila even more.

"Oh yeah, I'm sorry, how could I be so ungrateful. I mean, you're basement must be the most comfortable one in the entire history of basements," Camila snapped.

"I'm sorry munchkin, would you like to share my bed with me?" Lauren responded, making the younger girl flush with anger and embarrassment.

"No," She huffed.

"I insist, since I'm obviously such a hateful person please feel free to lay beside me. We can even cuddle if you want," Lauren taunted further. "Isn't that why you came here, I thought you came for a cuddle munchkin?"

"I came to make sure you were okay," Camila whispered, turning on her heel to try and leave the room before the tears of anger and despair could make their way down her cheeks.

Before she could walk away Lauren grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her down on the bed, causing her to let out a shriek of surprise and a hand to fly in front of her face by instinct.

"Stay with me," She told her and Camila faced the wall, blinking her eyes furiously. "Camila."

Lauren placed a hand between Camila's shoulder blades and the Cuban flinched at the contact.

"You're jumpy," Lauren observed.

"I need my anxiety pills," Camila muttered, twisting the cloth of her shirt between her hands.

"Shit, you aren't gonna have a panic attack on me are you?" Lauren questioned her and the Latina shook her head. "Really, cause your breathing doesn't seem to calm."

Camila could feel her chest rising unevenly and she took a deep breath in, trying to regain herself.

There wasn't anything in particular to cause an anxiety attack but without her pills she got worked up.