[oo2] - Hugh x Reader

[ Jealousy ]

----------------------------------------------------

Yes, romances between two childhood friends which would blossom only when they would get older and more mature indeed were very cliché. But no one ever said that cliché was forbidden, wrong or bad.

The male with whom you were walking through the typically crowded Nimbasa City was none other than a childhood friend of your own, Hugh. The two of you had met when you were only five years old, and had grown up in the very same town ever since. Hugh had always been and still was a very protective individual, but despite that, you had always been able to get along with him perfectly. After all, his overprotectiveness was the consequence of expressing his affection and him simply wanting to treasure you.

'Great friends' was your current or official relationship with him, but growing up alongside Hugh, it wasn't too unexpected that you had started harboring romantic feelings for the spiky-haired male at some point. Sometimes it was hard simply acting as if you felt nothing more, but telling him about what you truly felt was far too risky - or so you thought - since a very precious friendship would be at stake, and so you had kept quiet about your secret all these years. It was highly unlikely that something would suddenly bring you to confess at this point.

"Hello? Earth to [Name]?" Hugh's slightly irritated voice brought you back to the present, you immediately getting a bit flustered because you hadn't been listening to the male at all. "W-What did you say?" Was your almost immediate reply followed by a sheepish yet toothy grin. Your reaction only drew a sigh from Hugh's lips, but he was quick to repeat himself. "I asked if you wanted to get a Casteliacone first or ride the Ferris Wheel. This whole thing was your idea, so the least you could do is listen to people when they talk."

"Yeah, yeah I'm sorry. You talk as if you never space out." You rolled your eyes at the slightly taller male, gaining a playful smirk from him. "That's because I don't. I always have my guard up." Hugh proclaimed proudly, making you snort at his childish behavior. "Then how about you drop it, we're here to have fun, not fight crazy people who want to liberate Pokémon from human kind." You said with a small huff as you crossed your arms in front of your chest. Having made that remark a few months ago would have certainly angered Hugh, given the fact that he absolutely despised Team Plasma who you were so casually talking about now.

But that organization's evil deeds had been put to a stop quite a while ago, by you, Hugh and your other close friends who lent you their aid and support. Unova had pretty much returned to its original, peaceful state now that Team Plasma was gone. So after those rather stressful and dangerous adventures, you decided it would be a great idea to take a break and enjoy yourselves in Nimbasa City's theme park, gradually getting back to your former lifestyles that way.

Originally it was supposed to be you, Hugh and two of your other friends Nate and Rosa, but those two apparently had more important business to attend to - business you didn't dare to ask Rosa about for details. That was how this previously planned friendly hangout almost turned out to be some sort of date simulation. "You bring up those nasty jerks without even answering my question?" Hugh raised a brow at you, pretending to be upset as he shot you a glare. You knew that that was him just being playful, but you still played along by grabbing the male's arm as if you were hugging it, apologizing cutely or how Hugh liked to describe it in the depths of his mind. "Alright, I'm sorry!~ Since you're insisting so much, you must really want to get on the Ferris Wheel with me."

"Obviously." Hugh brushed your playful attempt at flirting off with a seemingly indifferent answer. Both of you were used to being touchy-feely with one another as well as making bold remarks and such, so neither of you got embarrassed in the other's presence so easily. Usually not at least, there were always a few exceptions.