Chapter 38-His Thoughts

Please tell me if I need to delete unnecessary scenes.

------

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

Alec hissed as Nurse Jemial wrapped the final bandage around his forearm. The strip of cloth tightened, before the lady released her hold from it. He then slipped on some blue pants to cover his underwear and bandaged thigh. The small door of the main healing room slammed open.

Gael came through, still in the same clothes he wore when they arrived before dawn. His hair was a mess as he rushed to Alec's side with a deep crease of concern between his brows.

"Kosmos, Alec! Only yesterday you were injured and now this!" he said with his frown deepening. Before he could continue, Nurse Jemial placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Nothing vital was hit in his arms, but the shard which stuck to his thigh went a bit deep and nicked a tendon," she said. "I fixed it up, but I still want him to rest."

The brown-eyed 50 year-old lady then made a gesture by writing a circle in the air using her pointer finger. Gael nodded, seeming to understand what it meant.

He gently placed his hands on Alec's good arm and draped it over his shoulder. Alec got off the bed, limping from the sting on his right thigh. With Gael's help, they left the room and exited into another room lined with the white sheet-covered cots. Gael led him to the nearest one, and Alec sat on it with his back on the headboard. On one side of the room, Alec saw Nurse Jemial's assistant tending to Solana. Knox, River, Ceiver, and Areisha were with her.

When Alec looked back to Gael, he was holding a parchment of brown paper out to him. His other hand held a pen. He took it from him and read the words written on it.

Solana's here, you know the drill, it said. He needed to get used doing this whenever they had private matters to talk about and Solana was around. He continued reading.

What happened? I have a feeling that chandelier didn't just fall by chance.

Alec took the pen from his guardian.

Contrary to what you feel, it did just fall by chance, he wrote. There were no signs on the ropes that looked like someone cut through them.

When Gael read it, his eyes widened and he turned to Alec. The young man only nodded at him in return. It was Gael's turn to write again.

Still, there will be an investigation. The headmaster won't let it slide. It's suspicious really. The ropes attaching all chandeliers were only replaced a few weeks ago.

Alec only sighed, as Gael folded the paper and tucked it inside the pocket of his loose black trousers. It was just in time when the double doors opened, and Headmaster Donovan came running through to get to Solana. Entiny slipped through the door crack, with Professor Linan following her. In the crooks of man's long thin arms, Midnight and Leyan lay snoring with a few patches of white on their back and wings. Linan went to Alec first and settled the Draelings near his lap. At the same time, Entiny climbed the bed and made her way over to plop herself on Alec's bare shoulder.

"Thank you Professor," Alec said as he looked up at the man. Then lanky professor gave him a small smile.

"It's fine. I'm not the school's Drae Doctor for nothing," he said. "I want them well rested for today. You know well about a Drae's healing ability, and they should be fine by tomorrow. I have to go tend to the other sick Draelings."

Linan quickly left the room, and Alec sat there stroking his Draelings while releasing a sigh of relief.

"I hope one day these three won't die because of protecting me," he said. "I won't be able to live with myself if that happens." There was a silence, before an old baritone voice broke it. When he threw his gaze up, he knew it was the headmaster at the sight of the white beard alone.