XI - Smudged Lipstick

"About what?" I asked, trying to avoid what he obviously wanted to discuss.

"You know what I mean, Maggie," he said. "It was completely wrong of me to act the way I did, and I understand if you would like to transfer out of this class. I take full responsibility for my inappropriate actions, I just ask that you please keep it a secret."

"It's okay, sir, I'm not going to tell anybody. Look, we're in the same boat on this one. To be completely honest, I think we both know what we want. We both just know that it's wrong," I said, playing with my fingers nervously.

He stood up from his desk, beginning to pace in the front of the classroom. "Well what do you suppose we do? God, this is so wrong. I don't even know how to approach this situation and that's because I shouldn't ever have to. Whatever the hell is going on needs to end, you know that just as well as I do," he said, running his fingers through his hair in frustration.

I stood up from my desk and walked over to the door, pulling the small curtain that covered the window door. I turned the lock as well, then returned to my seat.

"What do you think is going on? Between us, I mean," I nervously asked.

"I-I don't know. I can't say these things Maggie, and damnit I shouldn't have to. You're my student. You're a girl in my class who is what, five years younger than me? I know that you're eighteen so it's legal, but it's against school policy. I would get fired, at least, and you would most likely be expelled. And forget the fact that you'd earn a terrible reputation around here. You have so much potential Maggie, so much life ahead of you, and I don't want to screw that up for you," he said, beginning to get frustrated.

I stood up and walked over to him, adjusting his tie slightly. I looked up into his eyes, it didn't look like he got much sleep last night either.

"You're not screwing anything up, I am."

Before he could question me about what I just said, I reached up and closed my eyes. My lips met his gently, slowly beginning to move in sync. I pulled away after a moment, searching his eyes for any sign of hesitation. When I found nothing but acceptance, I leaned in again.

This kiss was different, a bit more passionate. Our lips moved faster, his hands resting on my hips and pulling me closer as my fingers found their way to his jawline and hair.

How could something this wrong feel so right?

We both pulled away breathless, neither of us knowing what to say.

"You, um, have a bit of lipstick," I laughed, wiping his plump bottom lip with my thumb.

He laughed as well, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "Well what do you suggest we do now, Miss Pérez?"

"Well, Mr. Mendes, I'd say we're screwed," I joked, and we both laughed.

"I need to go to my next class, but I'll be here until 5:30 because of volleyball practice. If you're still here we can talk more," and with that, I was on my way out of the classroom.

-

I walked down the hallway after practice, throwing a large gray sweatshirt over my t-shirt and spandex. I nervously approached Mr. Mendes' classroom, knocking on the open door as I stepped through the door frame.

He looked up from his desk, smiling brightly when he saw me.

"Maggie, come in," he said and I did what he asked, closing the door behind me.

"How was practice?" He asked, leaning back in his chair as I sat down at my desk.

"Pretty good, pretty tiring," I said, resting my feet on top of my desk. We both stayed quiet for a minute or two until I spoke, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

"Did I have anything to do with you breaking up with Elena? Or am I some sort of weird rebound attempt?"

"You're definitely not a rebound, Maggie. When I saw you at the mall I thought you were the most breath taking girl I've ever seen. Seeing you half naked was only a plus," he jokingly said with a wink. "Yes, I understand that whatever is happening here is moving extremely fast, but it just feels different. I left Elena because I couldn't stop thinking about you. You consume my thoughts, all hours of the day. You're so intriguing and I constantly find myself wanting to get to know you more."

"Well how are we supposed to go about this?" I asked him, checking my phone to see the time.

"Let me take you on a date. This Saturday, we can go somewhere far from here for a fancy dinner. Let me win you over, Maggie, as if we had met under normal circumstances. There's more between us than just physical attraction, I know it, just let me prove it to you."

"Alright, fine."