Someone New

I waited for Brooke to wake up and when she did, she yelped in fear, probably not knowing it was me. I could barely see her but I told her it was me, which seemed to calm her nerves some. Her breathing was loud but so was mine. Every inch of my body was nervous.

“Brooke, I have a plan to get us out of here.” I finally said.

“You do? How?” She asked eagerly.

“Okay it may be a long shot but we have to try. Next time Kyle comes in, we will both charge at him. We can’t take us both on. I can show you some moves before he comes down. I did take self defense.” I said.

“First off, we can’t see down here. How can I learn? And two, all he has to do is take one of us down and then it won’t be two on one, it will be one on one and we know he will win.” She said.

“Okay, you’re right. I have another plan. When he comes down here, I will attack him. He usually leaves the door open so you can make a run for it. Escape how you did last time and don’t stop running. I can hold him off the best I can.” I said.

“No, I won’t leave you here with him.” She replied.

“You will be going to get help for me. Kyle won’t kill me if that’s what you are thinking. He’s in love with me.” I said.

“Okay, we’ll do it.” She said.

I honestly didn’t know if the plan would work but I had to try. Brooke could escape while I fought Kyle. As I said before, there was two of us and one of him. My heart was pounding as I waited for Kyle to come. It would be harder to fight with only light from the top of the stairs but I was up for the challenge. My heart nearly stopped when I hear the basement door unlock.

“Ready?” I whispered to Brooke.

“Yeah.” She whispered back.

We were both blinded by the sudden light and I knew this was it. I just hoped Brooke could escape or we would both be in trouble. My eyes never left Kyle as he slowly walked down the step. He stopped right in front of me and as I planned, I backed away. He followed just like I knew he would, I wanted his as far from the steps as possible.

“Have you calmed down some?” He asked, smirking.

“Brooke now!” I shouted and with my words, she took off running up the stairs.

Kyle was taken off guard and that’s when I punched him across the face, sending him stumbling backwards. Then I aimed to kick him in the groin but he back out of the way. I stood in my fighting position and I wondered why Kyle hadn’t tried to go get Brooke. I swung again, barely making contact with his face. Then he fired back and barely hit me, causing me to stumble backwards towards the stairs.

I could try and run for the stairs but I knew he would catch me. There was as scream from upstairs and I knew it was Brooke. I glanced up the stairs, only to receive a punch in the face, knocking me down to the ground. I cried out in pain as I felt my cheek. He always managed to hit me in the same cheek, my right one. I groaned as I tried to get to my feet, just to be pushed back down.

Blood filled my mouth and I spit it onto the ground. I didn’t want to look at Kyle and I knew whatever happened to Brooke, it was good. Kyle grabbed me by the back of the shirt and started to drag me up the stairs. I tried to fight back but that resulted in him yanking me more. Once we were at the top of the steps, he threw me onto the cold wooden floor, my knees thudding as they hit. A flash of pain filled my body as I hit the floor but it wasn’t as bad as my throbbing cheek.

“I hate you.” I groaned as I looked up at Kyle who was slammed the basement door shut.

“What the hell was that?” He yelled. He bent down and pulled me to my feet, I yanked my arm away from his grasp.