Prelude

21st Century, Ireland

"Goodbye old home...n'er again shall I feel the warmth of your four walls. Nor will I see such green fields or smell the fragrances of your flowers again. I bid thee farewell-" "Oh, Aine, stop being so dramatic and help me with these boxes! We've best be going soon, or your father will leave us behind!" her mother interrupts. Aine knew she was being dramatic, but she truly did not want to move. Ireland had been where she called home for the past 16 years; she really was proud of her father and the new job he had landed but that didn't mean it wouldn't be hard on her. He was a highly respected collegiate History professor and since getting his doctorate, he was given the opportunity to teach abroad in America. Aine had never been to America so there was a lot in store for her to experience but she knew absolutely nothing about Virginia. She thought to herself, "I only have 2 years left of school and then I'm off to university...why now? I have to make new friends and go to upperclassman events when I've only known people for half of high school..." Doing her best to cheer up, she continued to help her mom with the boxes left in her room.

She lifted the last few boxes into the car and climbed inside to drive to the airport. Slowly but surely, Aine began to get excited about her new home and wondered what it would be like. The only things she knew about America came from TV and she hoped that it was nothing like she saw on the news and internet. She also wondered if many people her age who would be excited to see an international student in their high school.  Sure, Aine wondered what the Americans would think of things like her accent or way she dressed but most of all, she wondered what they would think of her. Aine had never been the typical popular girl, though she was liked enough by her classmates. She wasn't super quirky in the cute way everyone found interesting, definitely not the girl people said "goals" about on social media, but also not the wallflower some would describe as mysterious.  Aine grew up 1 of 8 children, oldest girl & 3rd eldest sibling, she somehow found herself feeling profoundly normal.  She was active, played lacrosse at her school, enjoyed riding horses, and enjoyed other hobbies teens her age liked.  Yet still, somehow nothing about her felt quite like she stood out.  That is, besides her looks.  She knew she was not at all able to hide the one thing people noticed about her which was her red, curly hair.  This annoyed her sometimes, she even thought about chopping it all off but decided against it, she didn't think she could pull it off.  Regardless, Aine hoped that this new life in America would help her feel new & exciting.

14th century, Scotland

Gregory MacRae knew he was about to lose everything when he saw a grimy man with his hands on his wife. Apparently, the King enjoyed stealing newlywed brides to have his way with them. This made his blood boil and rage filled his eyes when he saw hers widen with fear...his sweet Laura's eyes filled with fear and his heart froze. Gregory dropped his sword and heard himself yell "Wait!" Man, after man on both sides stopped in their place and turned their heads to watch what was about to transpire. The English were scattered around, sword in hand, fighting Gregory's men but ceased with grins on their faces knowing they would win this round. Though Gregory was a very large and well-built man, he had never felt so small in his life.

"Let her go! This isn't her fight...ye can't do this, you coward. It's me ye want...not her." Frantic, his voice wavered as he held his hands up in the air. "Aye, but it is her we want...she's yer wife! She belongs to the King for her last night of maidenhood. You know the law!" the traitor Scots lowlander said with spite. Gregory knew he couldn't let his temper get the better of him, one wrong move and he could hurt Laura. Gregory reached out his hands to try and grab the dagger, but he suddenly felt himself being pulled back and in retaliation, Arthur slit Laura's throat. Swiftly and without hesitation. Gregory watched as his wife's body crumbled to the ground and he fell to his knees. In shock, he stared at her body lying on the ground, still in the beautiful dress he'd admired her in just hours before. Her brown hair now becoming stained with her own blood, he looked into her eyes and saw nothing left in them. Gregory barely heard the English leaving him and his men to clean up the damaged they had caused. Unable to control his body, Gregory felt bile rise in his throat and he vomited.

...why didn't they just do Gregory a favor and kill him too? He had nothing to live for now.