Chapter 19

Shift POV

___________

"It's a pressing matter!"

"Well it can wait for a few more days."

"Yes, the first priority is to destroy the Villain Alliance."

"And rescue the abducted heroes."

"If they're still alive."

"Dex!"

"Those villains are murderers. I doubt they let the people they capture live," Dex replies.

"Whirlwind, I know how much you want Cyclone to be alive, but don't get your hopes up."

Whirlwind and Cyclone are siblings. They both have wind powers. I feel bad for her. Losing her brother must be terribly hard for her. I have to agree with Dex. I doubt he's alive. After hearing from Phoenix how the Villain Alliance tried to kill him multiple times I know they're murderers.

While they are talking I move closer to the door. When they are all looking in the other direction I run. No one sees me, and I safely make it out of the room.

I look around for Phoenix. I go down so many hallways I start to worry I'm lost. Why is this place so damn big. Eventually we run into each other (literally), and we leave. We share what we found, but neither of us found very much. We leave the Cube.

To celebrate getting in and out of the Cube we buy ice cream. I mean seriously! We walked around their base without getting stopped once! They really need to get better security. I use the money I stole from the wallet to buy a medium sized cup of butter pecan. Phoenix gets mint chocolate chip.

The ice cream isn't able to cheer me up after the conversation on missing heroes, but it is delicious. Maybe it would have helped more if it had sprinkles on it. Or came on a cone instead of in a dish. I don't think it would have.

After we finish eating we go to my lair. I am exhausted. Phoenix and I sit down on the couch and turn on the tv. I have no idea what he ended up watching because I fall asleep almost immediately.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

The next morning when I wake up in my bed. I am confused on how I got there. I distinctly remember falling asleep on the couch. Phoenix must have carried me. I find it surprising that he would do that, but as a hero he does a lot of nice things. I don't think I was ever cut out to be a hero. I'm not nice enough. Phoenix is definitely nice enough. Its sad he can't be one right now because of the fire. It's all the Villain Alliance"s fault.

I get out of bed and go to thank Phoenix. He doesn't answer when I knock on the door. I wait a minute and then open it. At first I think the room is empty, but then something moves beneath a messy pile of blankets on his bed. He's asleep. I shut his door as quietly as I can.

I guess he's sleeping in today. I decide to go over to the coffee shop. I go down in the elevator and am about to leave the building when I am stopped by the guy at the front desk. He tells me someone stopped by with a letter for me. I open it. Inside is a small piece of paper. The only things written on it are a time and place.

I'm instantly on guard. I ask the guy who the letter is from but he doesn't know. I reread it. The time is only ten minutes from now. I have a bad feeling about it, but decide to go. Guess that shows how smart I am.