XXIX: SHE LEFT YOU SOMETHING.

chapter twenty-nine; she left you something

It was near eleven o'clock when a knock sounded against Luke's apartment door. A quiet knock, but it was enough for Ava to hear as she flushed the toilet and finished washing her hands in the bathroom, the ice cream not setting well in her stomach. The knock struck her in an odd way, considering that it was quite late, but it also gave her a queasy feeling she couldn't quite explain. Call it an intuition, if you will.

The knocking continued in intervals, like one was hesitant but still remained persistent. Not wanting to wake anyone else in the house up, she crept up to the door and peeked through the peephole, having to go up on her tippytoes just to be able to reach it. From there, she could see a girl's torso and her brown hair, and Ava slowly opened the door, keeping the chain locked so that if this person was a dangerous intruder, there wasn't much access. Staring at the green-eyed girl through the sliver of a crack in the door, she recognized her.

"Delilah," Ava gasped to herself, so inaudible that she also mistook it for a mere thought that flashed into her brain. She eyed her and had to stop herself from immediately slamming and locking the door shut.

Delilah tucked a piece of long brown hair from her face, letting her big green eyes be seen. Seeing half of Ava's face, she was taken aback not only by the fact that someone answered (in all honesty, she wasn't expecting anyone to, especially not a girl) but also by the fact that she couldn't quite figure out who the person who answered was. She gave a friendly wave and tried to get a better look inside.

"Hi, does a Luke Hemmings live here?" Delilah asked, clutching a letter in her hands tightly. She held a confident expression and Ava grew jealous of it (and her flawless complexion and height and pretty hair; seriously how could someone be so perfect?), not sure what to say. Just because Ava very much disliked her, doesn't mean that she couldn't envy Delilah; in fact, she now realized even more why Luke had fallen in love with the girl before her, and a small part of her heart broke as she compared herself to her.

"Uhm," Ava hummed, thinking of an answer, not sure whether to lie or just reveal that Luke was there. She sighed and bit her lip, removing the chain from the door, opening it all the way, "Yeah, why?"