Difficult to understand : having or seeming to have a hidden meaning
1) Having or seeming to have ambiguous meanings (cryptic messages)
2) marked by an often confusing briefness (cryptic marginal notes)
3) serving to conceal (cryptic coloration in animals)
4) exhibiting hidden coloration (cryptic animals)
5) not recognised (a cryptic infection)
1) I was puzzled by the cryptic e-mail messages left on my computer.
2) I couldn't understand his cryptic instructions.
Late Latin crypticus, from Greek kryptikos, from kryptos
arcane, mysterious, deep, enigmatic, impenetrable, inscrutable, occult, uncanny, mystic
accessible, clear, nonambiguous, plain, obvious, unequivocal