9

They weren't letting me go.

As soon as we ducked under the outer cordon near Marylebone Road, two armed officers ran over to us.

"Sorry, but I'm afraid we need to ask you to remain inside the cordon for your own safety," said one of them.

"Eh? But we're with you," said John. "What's going on?"

"I'm very, very sorry, but we're under strict orders to ensure you remain within this jurisdiction, sergeant."

"What are you talking about?" I said. "What about all the other coppers coming and going? Are you having a laugh, mate?"

The guy looked embarrassed. "Sergeant, I don't think you understand. We've been given your name and photo." He pulled out a slip of paper. "These have been circulated to all the senior officers on duty today. We've been told specifically to keep you here with everybody else."

My photo was printed on an A4 sheet labelled "Detention Authorisation." The letterhead was for the Metropolitan Police Counterterrorism Command.

"What the hell is this?" shouted John.

Both the officers tensed. "It's orders, sarge," said the first. "Not much longer now. Once SO19 are done securing the area, everyone will be free to go. Until, then, we're not authorised to allow you to leave."

"Can I get a good look at that form? Let's just check it against my ID, make sure no one's got their wires crossed."

He waved the form in front of my face while I retrieved my ID. The form was definitely about me. I made sure to check the date and time. And gawped.

"What on earth is this?" I said in shock.

"What's wrong?" asked the copper.

I looked at John. His eyes were wide. "Look at the time stamp!" he said. "It's today's date, and the time of release is 7:27 a.m. How can that be? That's before the attack."

"Huh? Let me see that." The officer snatched the form back and peered at it closely. His brow furrowed. "Yeah, that's a bit weird, ain't it?"

"Weird?" cried John. "That's a fucking stitch up, mate."

"Look, do you think you could check it out please?" I said. "There must be some sort of mistake."

The officer shrugged. "Well I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure if this changes anything. Orders are orders, sarge." He frowned again. "But I'll have a word with someone." He shrugged again, and walked off.

I stared at his back, stunned.

We walked away silently, not really sure what to think. I couldn't quite believe it.