Chapter 18

I finish eating my bowl of cheerios and wash the dishes in a hurry. I walk over to the kitchen counter and grab the car keys and my backpack.

"Dad! I'm leaving!"

"Alright son, Have a good day!" He calls from the other room.

I decide to skip school today, half to investigate more on the Rae situation and half to avoid Ariel. She definitely hates me now, I bet. Everything was going fine until I called her Rae. Ugh, why couldn't things just be easy and make sense. Here I am, Mr. Popular, and there Ariel is, Ms. Popular. We should be together, we're meant to be together. Then there's Rae, the girl no one talks to, everyone ignores and makes fun of. Yet, I can't seem to get my mind off of her. I've barely known the girl for a couple of weeks and she's grown on me more than Ariel has in years.

My phone vibrates and I pick it up to see it read 'Unknown Number'.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Is this Aiden?"

"Depends, who's this?"

"My name is Bailey."

"Okay? How can I help you Miss Bailey."

"Well. I think I have something you need... something you want. I cant really tell you exactly where to find this thing, but I will tell you to be careful of a man named Dave McKinley."

"Officer Dave? Why?"

"Dave isn't his real name. Well, it is. But he goes by something else. He's bad news and you shouldn't trust anything he says. Be careful, if he finds out that you're snooping too much... you're dead meat."

The phone clinks dead and I say hello about three times before I admit to myself no one is on the other end. This is huge information, I never trusted that son of a bitch in the first place. I think It's time to find out who Officer Dave really is, and I know just the place. I make a U-turn and make my way toward Eli Walker's house.

++++++

I grab the cell phone and look up the stairs to make sure no one is coming. I then go into the bathroom, shut the door and sit on the toilet. I say a little prayer and flip open the phone.

Shit! less than 10% battery life left. Good enough for about two calls. Alright, first 911 then Aiden. Wait, I don't have his number memorized. Fuck!

I dial 911 and tap my foot and bite my nails in nervousness, excitement and anxiety all in one.

"Hello our lines are currently full right now, but we'll be with you very shortly."

I look at the phone in utter horror. Full!? How many fucking people are having an emergency right now? I don't have time to complain, or hold, so I decide on who to call next. And the only person I have memorized is my mom. I punch in the number and hear the dial tone, then a cough.

         "Hello? Mom?"

"Rae? Where the fuck have you been!?"

"Listen. I was kidnapped! I don't know where I am, but I know It's a deserted area. It's a house in the middle of fucking nowhere. There's trees everywhere and...Hello?"

The silence on the other end is deafening and I start to believe she hung up until I hear static and bits and pieces of my mom's voice.

"Mom!"

The line goes dead and I look at the phone once again in horror. I try to call her back but then the musical tone goes off, signaling the phone dead. I give up. I get up and lift the toilet seat, throwing the cell phone in the depths of it. I look in the mirror and just cry. Not an itty bitty cry either, I mean full, blown out stream of tears. I'm not going to win.

       ++++++

                I press my ears against the door, and I swear I could hear crying. I move back and frown. I hate when Rae cries, she really has grown to be like a sister to me, a better sister than Ariel could ever try to be. I have to help her somehow, enough of me being a coward. I just finished my online classes, and Ariel is at school and Ariel told me Daddy was on vacation, so I decide to invade her room.

                   I run down the hallway in my fuzzy slippers, and silently creep into her room. I press the bridge of my nose with my  thumb and index finger, and my eyes start to water. Did the girl kill an animal in here? I decide to check on her desk first for any useful information and Immediately find a phone book covered in sprinkles.

                 ' My aidey Poo <3

          Aiden_12@gmail.com , 555-0928 ((Baybee's number)),  4935 Lufax rd ((Baybee's Address)) :) '

            I smile at the information that I have just found and continue. I look under books, bra's, panties, and unfinished paintings when I finally see another piece of paper talking about a man named Dave McKinley. Hey isn't that Rae's last name? I continue reading and see that he goes by the name Leonardo. That's the same man Daddy is always arguing with on the phone...  I pick up the piece of paper with all of Aiden's information on it and fling the picture of him and Ariel attached to it aside  . I run back into the kitchen and pick up the wall phone, dialing his number and my heart beats so fast I thought It would hop out of my butt.

I quickly hear someone answer the phone and say,

"Hello?"

I breathe.

"Hi, Is this Aiden?"

"Depends, who's this?"

"My name is Bailey."

"Okay? How can I help you Miss Bailey."

"Well. I think  have something you need... something you want. I cant really tell you exactly where to find this thing, but I will tell you to be careful of a man named Dave McKinley."

"Officer Dave? Why?"

"Dave isn't his real name. Well, it is. He's bad news and you shouldn't trust anything he says. Be careful, if he finds out that you're snooping too much...you're dead meat."

               I think that went well, right? I go back to Ariel's room to arrange it as best as I could and go make Rae lunch. Hopefully I wont have to sneak her food any longer, and she'll be able to go to her own kitchen in her own house very soon. Hurry, Aiden.