Ch. 11

We got off the car and I noticed how Michael suddenly became even more nervous when his eyes focused on the house in front of us.

It was big and looked very nice. I would have been more than happy if I had the chance to grow up in such a beautiful place with my parents, so I couldn't really understand why Michael acted that way. I was also sure that asking him wouldn't bring any good to me.

"Let's go.." he said in low, raspy voice and started walking towards the house. I followed him.

Soon we stood in front of the door and he rung the bell. A woman opened and she looked a lot like Michael, so I assumed she was his mother.

"Michael!" she said in a high pitched voice and wrapped her arms around him "My baby! I haven't seen you in such a long time!" yes she was his mother. "Oh how much I've missed you!" Michael wasn't very happy with that.
"Mother... you're squeezing me too tightly." he said with his face buried in her shoulder. I guess she really was holding him very tightly.
"You've lost weight!" she said after her hands travelled down his back, then arms "I knew you couldn't live alone, I just knew it! You won't take care of yourself! Have you been eating right?" he rolled his eyes.
"Yes, mother..." then her eyes stopped at me.
"So you are the girl Jermaine told me about! I'm Katherine, it's nice to meet you!" she extended her hand to me and I took it for a shake.
"I'm YN, it's nice to meet you too!" she looked like a nice lady to me.
"She is very beautiful, Michael! But please come in, don't stand outside! Everybody's waiting for you!" we entered the house.

Michael was looking around with a rather sad expression on his face. His mother led us into the dining room, where Michael's family was waiting. He had his hands in his pockets and looked very annoyed to see them.

His brothers and sister greeted us and we sat at the table with them. Jermaine was there too, of course, and was staring at me. Michael had such a huge family! Something that I hadn't.

"You look good, brother!" he said. Michael looked away with an attempt to ignore him "YN looks good too!" he licked his lips and Michael gave him a dead glare "Even better than the last time I saw her, you take a good care of he-"
"Tell me Jermaine, are your two wives not good enough for you to have to look at other women?" Michael's voice was sharp.

Two wives? He had two wives?

Jermaine's smile quickly disappeared from his face and he opened his mouth to say something, but Katherine cut him off, changing the topic.

"Janet, go call Joseph. Tell him everybody's here and we're waiting for him, darling!"
"Okay, mom." she got up from the chair and left the room. I noticed Michael loosening his necktie, he was nervous. He then grabbed the bottle of wine and poured some in his glass.

"Woah... can't you wait for all of us to drink together, Mike?" one of his brother said, I didn't know them. Michael filled the glass to the maximum.
"You might wanna take it easy on the alcohol... brother." Jermaine added.
"Mind your own business." Michael cut them off and drunk from his wine.

Suddenly, I heard the footsteps of someone and then I saw a man. This must have been Joseph.

"Finally I see all of my children together! What a nice view!" he said, then pulled his chair and sat at the table. Michael's grip around the glass got tighter as I saw his knuckles turn white. "Aren't you gonna greet your father, Michael?" he asked with a weird tone in his voice.
"Hi, Joseph." Michael sarcastically replied.
"Let's all eat!" Katherine said with a cheerful voice, trying to make the atmosphere in the room more pleasurable.

The maid served the food and we begun eating. Everybody was quite. They didn't even introduced themselves to me! I didn't know what was going on in here and why was everybody acting so weird, but I was sure there was something very wrong with that family.