Chapter Fifteen

At the very least, Draco was kind enough to hold onto her very gently on the long walk to Umbridge's office. He had taken it upon himself to lead Hermione along, knowing that anyone else would likely try to hurt her on the way. And after everything that happened, that was the last thing he wanted for her. He kept a gentle grip on her left arm, and walked behind the rest of the Inquisitorial walked close enough beside her to be able to carry a very quiet, whispered conversation.

"I know what you're thinking," he said, leaning into her ear, "but I swear I didn't tell Umbridge anything."

"You didn't exactly stop anyone either," she snapped.

"Excuse me, but you couldn't possibly think that I wanted you guys to get caught. Be reasonable."

She looked up at him, her eyes narrowed. He was quite a bit taller than her. She hated that right now; it wasn't exactly good for standing up for herself.

"Well, if you loved me so much, you'd help me out," she snarled.

His grip on her arm tightened as his face flushed red. "Don't you dare use that against me, Granger."

"So, what, I'm Granger now?" she asked. "Really, we're back to surnames? I suppose you'll be calling me 'mudblood'next ― ?"

"You're going to tell me what the hell I did that made you upset, and you're going to tell me now."

She scoffed. "I'm not taking orders from ―"

"Just do it."

She was silent for a few thoughtful moments. It really wasn't his fault. But, he had the power to stop them, didn't he? He could have swept in and saved the day!

. . . But that wouldn't exactly go well for anyone.

She took a deep breath, trying to clear her mind and calm down. "Look, I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly glad that we got caught by your friends."

"They've known for a while," he said. "I mean, about your little club. They've just never been able to catch you. Now they have, and here we are."

"But you couldn't even try to help?" she asked.

He shook his head. "Stop accusing me. This isn't my fault. I kept your secrets for months. I didn't tip anyone off. Don't accuse me, understand? If I could've helped you without getting my ass kicked, I would, believe me."

She sighed. "Fine. I apologize for accusing you of things you didn't do. But you still need to apologize for your attitude."

"What attitude?" he asked. "You started it ―"

"I'm not getting into a childish argument with you, Draco. I only want an owed apology."

He scowled at her. "You're so irritating."

She smirked. "Well, you are, too, but I've forgiven you for it."

"I really, really can't stand you. . . . I'm sorry. Happy?"

"Very," she said, with a smile. "Now loosen your grip on my arm, it's hurting a little."

It was a quick reaction. He immediately jerked his hand back, but then returned to gently holding her arm to not arouse suspicion. It was a weird feeling. He had never taken orders from someone who wasn't technically an authority over him.

His thoughts drifted back to his confession. He had told her. He really told her. He knew that one day, someone would say something. But in his mind, it was always her that was confessing, while he listened to her and welcomed her love with open arms. He never imagined, in his wildest dreams, that he'd be the one who confessed first. He needed to get it off of his chest, though. In a way, it felt good. But she currently wasn't showing any signs of confessing herself, or even considering his offer to her.