Chapter 5 - In Which I Experience Some Dramatic Stuff

My whole body sparked and tingled. Mate! My wolf howled, now completely focused on her other-half. I slowly looked up and scrambled away. This can’t be. Not now, not after what’s happened. The fates can’t hate me that much can they?  I sobbed, they can’t hate me that much!

Because my mate, the one who would love me and protect me and bring home a bunch of flowers just because he felt like it. My mate and my only last hope in the world. Was Ash Bayden. Ash Bayden, the man who I had loved since I was a little girl.

The man who hated me and tormented me. Was my mate. And I cried more, barely seeing through the tears his face turn form happiness to malice. Of course. Today was is birthday. On your 16th birthday you find your mate. But maybe he would love me now, maybe he would hold me and tell me everything was going to be ok. Because that is exactly what I need.

My mate looked around and then faced me sneering “Still crying.” In a disgusted voice and turned away. I gave him one last chance and in my small wet voice i spoke.

“Mate.”

The room was filled with laughter and taunts of my pack.  My mate swung back to me “What! You, my mate? Come on, even you know that that’s pathetic!” My wolf whimpered feeling the cutting words of her other-half.

“Please, Ash, please.” I pleaded heartbreakingly. “I need you.” My sobs grew hard and words became a difficult. “I need you!” I reached out to him. I was so close, so close. He pushed me away and I landed roughly, banging into the wall.

“I, Ash bayden.” No, please no. “Reject you as my mate.” No. “You are pathetic and weak and I won’t have you been anywhere near me!” He yelled.

It was at that time, in all that I have experienced in my short life that I finally broke. Hope and light and life were sucked away leaving behind a huge gaping hole that burned. The room turned black and everything disappeared.

 I became scared of the blackness swirling in my mind. And I ran. I smashed past Ash – it hurt horribly to say his name – and ran from the house. From the pack. I was hurting so much that I had no idea how to handle it. Let me take over, my wolf whispered. Oh. She could officially take over now, now that I had found my mate.

You can’t shift until you turn 18 or meet your mate. I had met mine, and he had rejected me. Let me take over. And I let her, as my only hope for surviving. I ran through the streets and forests as the pain consumed me. I shifted for the first time in my life. Bones and snapping and popping rearranging themselves.

 I didn’t feel a thing.

Like I said.

 There was no-one left to feel it anymore.

*Ash’s POV*

“Yo, man, come on. The game’s about to start!” His friend Simon yelled from the packed living room. I was walking down the hall when the most amazing scent hit me, hard. It sent me tumbling back.  It smelled like vanilla and lemongrass and reminded him of rainy days and cold, cool stone.

Mate his wolf howled. I smiled, following the scent. I had finally found my mate. I had been searching days just for this moment. It was sad that it couldn’t be Clara. She would have been a good mate. Matemy wolf growled. Alright, alright, I know that our mate is better!

I had zoned out while talking to my inner-self and didn’t notice the speeding body of Alexis until she hit me with a sharp oomph.  It sizzled where our skin connected and her scent clung to my skin. Alexis? She’s my mate? MATE my wolf howled. SHUT UP! I hissed at him.