1

"Y/n, focus." Derek's voice boomed. I groaned, and I gripped my head. I had the worst head ache, and it was still day light. I still had hours to go until sunset, then a couple hours later before the moon would reach it's peak. I didn't choose this life for myself. It just happened.

"I can't! My head is pounding." I said annoyed. I shot my friend a sharp look, and he rolled his eyes, obviously annoyed.

"Y/n, I need you prepared, you might break out of your chains, and if their are hunters out, I need you to be able to defend yourself." he said, as he tried to show me the move again, but I just couldn't focus. I kept worrying about tonight. What if I did get out, but I hurt someone? Or worse, kill? I didn't want this life. I was just minding my business, visiting my sister in another town, and a random alpha bit me. Great right? Wrong. My sister is a damn hunter. She said she'd try to keep other hunters in the town off my trail, but I came back home in the middle of the night, so here I am, with my friend, who is a former alpha, trying to teach me everything he can in a short amount of time.

"Yes you can. If you want to live, you will." Derek boomed. I flinched, and I jumped to my feet, trying once more to imitate the move he was showing me for the millionth time. I did a roundhouse kick, then turned to a roll, then I swiped his legs out from underneath of him. It took a couple more times, but I finally managed. Once finished, I collapsed onto the ground exhausted. My whole body ached. Surely this isn't normal. No one warned me of this.

"Once they are off their feet, and they don't have a weapon in reach you run. You run fast and far away until you can't hear their heart beats." he told me.

"Won't I be attracted to the heart beats since I'll want to kill every moving thing?" I asked.

"Break your own arm if you have to. It will shift you back to normal, just for a little while, but enough to get you far away. Long enough for me to track you down, and get you under control." he said as he sat next to me on the concrete floor of his loft.

"What if I hurt you?" I asked, looking up at his face.

"Then I'll heal." he told me.

"Won't you be mad?" I asked.

"No. Because I know you can't control yourself. Even if you could, I still wouldn't, because I know there would be a reason for you to do it." he said to me, regaining his breath from training me.

"What happens if I kill someone?" I asked, feeling very afraid. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did.

"Your eyes will be blue. like mine. You'll feel it marking your soul, weighing you down. And I'll be there every step of the way when you begin doubting yourself. but don't worry, I'll keep you in control." he told me.

"What makes you so sure?" I asked.

"Because I know how your mind works. I know how if I go in a threatening way, it only makes you stronger. You're like that in your normal human self, it will be a million times stronger in wolf form. For you to stay calm, others have to be. I'll help you find your anchor. I promise I won't let you kill anyone, and I promise I won't let a hunter hurt you." he told me.

"What about the alpha that bit me? Will he ever come after me?" I asked.

"Doubtful, he hasn't tried yet. You were helping your sister on a hunt, and you got bit. He must have mistaken you as an actual werewolf hunter who would kill themselves when they began changing." he told me.

"How do you know some much?" I asked.

"I know many hunters, ex hunters, but there are more around here. Some who came to take their place. The Argents don't hunt anymore, they say they lost too much." he said.