twelve.

It was midnight when I heard it.

The piercing scream that sliced the air, shaking me to my core.
The scream would not stop. Over and over, I heard it coming from all sides. I couldn't stand it, I couldn't think, I couldn't hear.
I was drowning in this scream.
I had to find it, I had to stop it.
I fumbeld out of bed barefoot and freezing. Neglecting to turn on the lights in my hazy blur, I just kept walking.
Turning to all sides I didn't know where to go, it seemed to be coming from all directions.
The scream tore past me, inciting sobs and chest pains from my body.
Why couldn't I find it?
Why did it hurt me so much to hear?
I just kept walking, tripping down the halls feeling my way alongside the walls.
The pain in my chest grew bigger, and the scream seemed to grow louder. Just find it, just stop it.
I came to the entrance of my house and everything was still, but that scream still filled the air.
The room started to get blurry I couldn't focus.
Why can't it stop?
I finally came face to face with a mirror. I looked and i saw it was me. The screams were tearing its way from my mouth, and the sobs wrecked through my body.
I couldn't make it stop.
I couldn't fix it.
It was me.
I couldn't make myself just shut up.
I kept screaming even when my legs gave out, and I ended up on the floor. The sobs slowly started to fade but so did my vision.
And finally it stopped.
All of it.
The screaming, the tears, the pain, it was just darkness.
I was free.