Chapter 22

Mrs. Grant read the letter hastily, a frown marring her features, before handing it me. The first thing I noticed was that the handwriting from the previous letter and the letter I held in my hand was completely different.

My eyes scanned briefly over the words before shoving the letter across the table to Harold.

"He wants to meet us today at noon, near HalleTown in a field near there." Harold announced to the other leaders who hadn't seen it. I folded my arms, arching a brow.

"I thought he didn't know this country." I said, annoyance coating my voice. Harold flipped back open the letter.

"Apparently one of the men we were training had left briefly to go visit family. He was caught by a werewolf and The Alpha interrogated him." Harold ran a hand down his face wearily. His eyes scanned across the room, waiting for a response from us.

"Do you think we should consider meeting him?" Mr. Brown asked slowly. Immediately I shook my head.

"No. We can't trust him." I told him. Mr. Daniel sat down into a chair, resting his hands on the table. He hadn't spoken much throughout the meeting and I watched with interest as he began speaking.

"How about if we were to go and bring some of our men with us? Only the best trained, that it."

"That's a stupid idea." I spoke through clenched teeth, glaring at the man. Harold threw me a look, his eyes telling me to hush.

I pressed my lips together and walked towards the fireplace, still listening to the conversation.

"Did the letter say why he wanted to talk other than making some deal?" Mr. Daniel asked.

Harold's answer was a slow shake of his head. Silence filled the room as everyone became consumed with their own thoughts.

Finally someone spoke up. "Perhaps he may have had a change of heart..." Mr. Brown's voice trailed off at my snort.

"Right." I spoke sarcastically, still looking into the crackling fireplace.

"We'll never know unless we meet him, Rebecca." Mrs. Grant said softly. My eyes twitched as I fought to roll them.

"We'll have thirty of our men come with us." Mr. Daniel said, completely ignoring my quiet protests, which was me eyes glaring into the back of his head. I sighed loudly. It didn't matter what I say. They were going along with there reckless plan they had.

"Then the decision is made." Mr. Daniel glanced at me, noticing my frown. "Don't worry, Rebecca. Nothing won't happen I..."

"Don't make promises you can't keep." I snapped, before stalking out the room,  allowing the door to slam behind me.

I walked back and forth in my bedroom, wearing down the carpet with my sneakers. My thoughts were racing.

Meeting the Alpha was not only dangerous, but careless. It was like mice walking into the jaws of a cat. We didn't know the deal that the Alpha wanted to make with us. All I knew was that werewolves cannot be trusted. The only way I would go along with them was if were to send much more men for protection along with us. I had no doubt in my mind that The Alpha probably had his own set of highly trained werewolves with him when we meet.

Scowling, I sank down unto my bed, my eyes going to the boxing gloves resting in the corner of my room. Training was beginning in half an hour with Harold.

In the mean time I went back downstairs and pulled one of the leaders, Mr. Brown away from the study room. I told him about my idea of having more men with us when we meet The Alpha and he agreed, saying it would be no problem. I gave him a stiff smile and said thanks, before returning back upstairs, to watch from my window as the men and women outside begin training.