Tomb

(Tomb)

On the road, Ignis and the rest, had filled you in on their discussion with 'Paw Paw'. You were heading to a tomb, of the Lucii line. A man named Cor, would be waiting there. The drive was surprisingly short. Though the desert scenery made it seem twice as long. You all got out of the vehicle. A tomb indeed, there were broken pillars and stones scattered about the area.

The slate stone that had covered the entrance was already moved. Cautiously, you followed the others down the stairs into the dark below. It took a moment for your eyes to adjust in the dim light. In the middle, of the small room, was a stone coffin. The top slab had been carved with a statue, in the form of a sleeping King. He held a weapon tightly, in his carved grasp. It was a sword.

A voice spoke. It was then you realized, a man stood behind the coffin. It must've been Cor. He was a tall, well muscled man, with an intense gaze. He was quick to noticed your presence. His piercing blue eyes locked onto you, the moment you'd entered his field of vision. His natural frown, born from years of vigil, deepened.

"Who is she?" His blunt voice echoed in the small chamber.

Prompto tactlessly answered before anyone else could. "We saved her right outside Insomnia! She's one of us."

"One of us? Don't make me laugh boy. She isn't a servant of the royal family, and neither are you. It would be best if she left the tomb, while we speak. Feel free to follow boy." He glared unflinchingly at Prompto daring him to speak. Tensions ran thick... You turned to leave, in order to maintain some facade of peace.

"Stay." Prince Noctis spoke, his tone was commanding, with an air of finality. His dark blue eyes were focused on Cor, the entire time. You froze in place. Cor met Noctis gaze, contempt flashed through his eyes, and a strained attempt at a leer spread unnaturally across his face.

"Very well, Your Highness." His tone was laced with venom. He continued on to explain the royal bloodlines special ability, to summon their forebears' weapons in combat. There were thirteen tombs spread far and wide across the land, if Noctis wanted any chance to reclaim the Capital, he would need all of them.

Noctis stretched his hand over the carved statue, once his palm was over the sword a bright light flashed. White crystal shards formed and a translucent white sword appeared before the Prince. It floated around his body in slow circles. Cor explained that, the royal line could control the weapons using telekinesis. A moment later the weapon vanished. The stern man turned his attention back to you.

"A civilian or a refugee. Either way, you'd best drop her at the next town." Something about his posture intimidated you. Prompto's puffed chest deflated, as he sunk into himself. Noctis tensed up beside you, but remained silent. Ignis was deep in thought mulling over the options, rubbing his chin in concentration. Gladiolus eyes met yours in confusion, it was clear, he was torn...

It was a quiet ride in the Regalia after that. Everyone was absorbed in their own thoughts. You would meet up with Cor again, he knew the locations of two more tombs. Traveling with him was unavoidable. A heavy atmosphere loomed in the car, nearly suffocating you. That man may have been a royal guard, but he was horrible for morale...

A divide had formed in the group. Ignis believed it best to leave you in safety, rather than drag you into harms way. While Noctis and Prompto wanted you to stay. The two friends swore on their very lives, that nothing bad would happen to you. Gladiolus was the swing vote, but no matter how much they pressed him, he never gave an answer. And you never brought the subject up. It would be best for everyone if you insisted on leaving, but you didn't have the strength to. The truth is you wanted to stay with them.

Despite the opposition they never did leave you at a town or city. To this day it was still a mystery to you... you'd remained with the group during the time traveled with Cor. Until the end, he insisted, they were a pack of fools to bring an ordinary civilian on this dangerous journey. You knew he was right. It was true you had nothing to offer. The Prince and Cor had nearly had a fight over this very matter.

"I swore I'd protect her, and I will!" Noctis yelled out in defiance. "She lost everything... Just like thousands of others, Insomnia's people, My people! The city she grew up in, her family and friends. I can't abandon her, I won't." There was a dangerous edge in his tone.

Laughter shook out of Cor, in a burst of near hysterics. It was one of the scariest things you'd ever seen. He never laughed ever. He'd barley show anything that resembled a smile. He was strict and harsh. Even stricter than Ignis... "Very well 'Young King'. Do as you wish." The words passed his lips in faint mockery, but the subject was never brought up again.

***

Long since Cor had parted ways with the group his words stuck with you. And you were grateful for them. They spurred you to action, allowing you to express what had long been on your own mind. It had been gnawing at you for long enough.

That afternoon when everyone had stopped to eat lunch around a fire in the middle of the wilderness you made your move. Fixing your eyes on Gladiolus in an even stare you spoke.

"Gladiolus, I'd like to become your student. Please teach me the way of the sword." You'd have been lying to say that you were composed. Your heartbeat was nearly pounding through your ribcage, pulse thrumming deafeningly in your ears. All eyes shifted to you with surprised expressions. Silence followed.

Finally Gladiolus spoke "Alright, we'll start training tonight, once we make camp."

"What?! No, absolutely not." The prince angrily scowled arms crossed.

"Noctis, I appreciate all you've done for me thus far. But you can't be everywhere at once." You'd seen it one too many times, the prince warping over to protect you during a skirmish. Then after battle he'd be bent over hands on his knees panting, the ability to warp temporarily lost from overuse. He always played it off. But you knew better, he couldn't continue like this.

Noctis studied you silently scanning you over from top to bottom. His blue eyes were piercing as they studied yours. You were feeling bold you spoke once more. A proverb coming to mind. "Give a man a fish." You needn't finish it recognition showed on everyone's faces. "Listen, I know, I won't be as skilled as all of you are. That's a fact. I know nothing of fighting, and you've all got years of training on me. But if you teach me to defend myself, it might be just enough to alleviate some of the burden from everyone's shoulders."

"Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." Ignis finished the saying. "She's right Noctis, as long as she knows her limits in battle, training her will help us all immensely."

"What'll it be Noct?" Gladiolus asked in a serious tone. The young man gave a quite sigh.

"Train her." He kept his eyes focused on his hands, careful not to meet anyone's gaze.