Riley

I walk into Picture News with pure annoyance written all over my face, it's freaking midnight! Let's hope the new guy isn't a dick like the others who work here.

"Ms. Miller!" Mr. Smith greets with a fake smile. "I'd like you to meet Elias Williams. Elias will be working on the environmental section. Elias, Ms. Miller works in Science & Technology, and Crime."

Elias Williams? As in the Elias Williams?! As in the man who wrote 'The Human Race Can Be A Burden'? 

I look over to Elias, have mercy! That's one beautiful face. Elias shakes my hand, "it's lovely to meet you. Your work is absolutely inspiring." His accent is mesmerizing.

"My work? Yours is amazing!" I fan girl. "Your input Global Warming inspired me to research and write about it, and I ended up wining the Pulitzer Prize Award."

"Now that you're both well acquainted, Ms. Miller," Mr. Smith grabs my attention. "I'd like you to show Elias around Central City."  

I raise my eyebrows, "right now?"

"I told you Andrew, I don't need a tour guide," Elias insists.

"Don't be silly, Elias. Ms. Miller knows all about Central City," Mr. Smith lies. I only know about the science and crime in Central City, and he knows it! He just wants me to make a fool out of myself. "Ms. Miller wouldn't mind a late night showing you around, right?"

They both turn to me, Mr. Smith gives me an if-you-value-your-job-do-it look. I grit teeth together and nod, "I don't mind at all."

"You sure?" Elias asks.

I nod, "let's get going. I'll show you around a bit and then we'll continue tomorrow. That's alright with you Mr. Smith?"

He glares at me, "yes, that's fine."

"Great, follow me Elias," I insist as he follows me out of the building. "So, how do you like Central City so far?"

"Pretty spectacular, if I do say so myself. You don't know much about Central City, do you?" Elias asks with amusement spread all over his handsome face.

I turn bright red and nervously chuckle, "no, no I don't."

Elias snorts, "I heard that a week after you moved here, you were in a coma?"

I nod, "when the Particle Accelerator exploded, I got struck by lightning. I woke up nine months later, so I didn't get the time to go sight seeing. But! I do know the best coffee joint here."

Elias's face brightens, "Yes! I live off of coffee, I have to have at least three cups a day or my day is ruined."

I smile, "we should hang out more. Coffee is my life."

"What made you move to Central City?" Elias asks, "I mean you don't just up and move six-hundred miles away."

I freeze in place, "u-um, y-you know. Some people just need a change in their life, Starling was getting boring."

Elias nods as we continue walking towards Jitters, "understandable. I away from England after I finished college at the University of Westminster."

"Where did you go?" I ask now curious about his life.

"I moved Mexico for about a year," Elias states, "the ecosystem need to be told to the world. The amazing culture was a bonus."

"That sounds amazing," I stop in front of Jitters. "Here we are."

Elias walks in and looks around, he smile, "perfect."